Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for three nurses

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I am trying to find out whatever I can about these three women:

Rose Martin, a Red Cross nurse from White Plains, New York, but born a British subject

Jesse Robertson, Nurse, originally from St. Andrews, Scotland

Marjorie Sinclair, Nurse, originally from Leith, Scotland

I do not know their ages but all three landed in Scotland in February 1917 after their ship was torpedoed and sunk on February 7th, 1917.

Is there a database or site that one can search for these three people? I had no luck on CWGC.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Daniel

Rose Martin survived the war.

On the 22nd March 1919 she left Liverpool on board the SS Orduna which arrived in New York on the 31st March. Her destination was the home of her uncle Mr Landsborough, 41 Greenville Avenue, White Plains, New York. She was born in Glasgow in about 1893 and her father was Bernard Martin, 576 New City Road, Glasgow.

She was described as a nurse, being 4'10'' tall with a fresh complexion, brown eyes and brown hair. She had paid for her own passage.

If you would like me to try and find out more, let me know.

Aled

I also found a possible medal card for a Jessie Robertson

Medal card of Robertson, Jessie

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve Staff Nurse

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve Sister

Date

1914-1920

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=30

Hi Annie and Carmania,

To Annie, actually, it is Jessie Robertson...I made a typo in my original post. All three were indeed on the California, which is the ship I am researching. To Carmania...where did you find the information on Rose Martin? Was that from Ellis Island's records? Or somewhere else? If there is more information available, I would love to hear it. I also wonder if there is anything out there on Ms. Sinclair...

Thanks, everyone...

-Daniel

Daniel

Rose Martin was the daughter of Bernard and Rose Martin. The 1901 Census of Scotland shows the family as living at 17 Grove Street, Glasgow and that her father was a joiner.

Rose had travelled on the California on a previous occasion, she was a passnger on her when she sailed from Glasgow on the 11th April 1914 arriving at New York on the 21st April. Rose was described as a Domestic and was going to 19 Harrison Street, Morristown, New Jersey.

The above information and that in my previous post came from Ancestry. The following extract comes from the New York Times of 9th February 1917:

"Mrs C. B. Dewing of 41 Greenwood Avenue, White Plains, received a cablegram from Queenstown from Miss Rose Martin, one of the Californis survivors. Miss Martin is 23 years old and was employed by Mrs Dewing as a nurse. She came to New York from England three years ago, and after a year's course at St Margaret's, Albany, she entered Mrs Dewing's employ. She was returning to her home in Glasgow because of the illness of her father. She had booked passage on the Philadelphia, which had just arrived on the other side, but canceled her passage at the last moment because she heard a friend was going on the California."

If I come up with anything about either of the other two I'll report back.

Aled

Daniel

This is a picture of Marjorie Sinclair from the Boston Globe of 8th February 1917. There was no additional information about her in the article in which the picture appeared.

Aled

post-35329-1224250776.jpg

Daniel

This is a picture of Marjorie Sinclair from the Boston Globe of 8th February 1917. There was no additional information about her in the article in which the picture appeared.

Aled

Hi Aled,

Thanks so much for the photo. I am going to keep digging and see what more I can find on them. I know all were originally British subjects and came to the US or Canada on some ship at some point, so perhaps I will find their immigration records with dilligence (and patience!).

Take care,

-Daniel