Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brig.-Gen. C.B.Prowse 11th Infantry Brigade

Terry Carter

Has anyone got a more detailed account of how and whereabouts Brig Gen C B Prowse was mortally wounded. He was moving his Brigade HQ across No Man's Land towards the Heidenkopf when he was hit.

I have the book 'The first day of the Somme' as one account.

Thanks

Terry

p.s. Has anyone got a picture of him?

Terry

This is from the booklet 'A Guide to the Regimental Aisle' at St Mary Magdalene Church, Taunton.

Dave

The Prowse Memorial at Taunton.

Terry, This from "Bloody Red Tabs":

Quoting Gapt GA Prideaux in the Regimental History of the Somerset Light Infantry "At about 9.45 AM the General decided to move his H.Q. into the German front line, thinking that it was cleared of all Germans. Just as he was getting out of our front line trench, near "Brett St", he was shot in the back by a machine gun in the "Ridge Redoubt" and died in the afternoon."

Fom Lt GA Robinson MC., 1st Rifle Brigade: "Brigadier-General Prowse gave me orders to open the brigade ammunition dug-out that had been blown in. Immediately afterwards he was mortally wounded while assembling men of the Seaforth Highlanders in our front-line trench. Brigadier-General Prowse showed great gallantry in his efforts, ignoring the great breaches in our parapets and exposing himself to great danger".

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry

Just got back from holiday and saw your request for info on death of ‘Bertie’ Prowse.

I have some copies of correspondence relating to him including a letter from W R Bailey to Mrs Prowse. In this he says

‘We were going into the front line after the attack had taken place with two officers and myself, heavily shelled the whole time. We had got rather a long way around, there was a gap that had been shelled by the Bosches, the General had just got to this gap when we saw him fall, hit in the lower part of the back, left side, by a rifle bullet. Myself and Mr Herford rushed up and brought him behind, when Mr Herford rushed off to find a doctor or stretcher bearers and to inform our Headquarters. I, myself, did all in my power for my beloved master holding my hand over his wound for quite half an hour or so to keep the blood in. ------------ We then started on our journey back, after we had procured a stretcher, which took a considerable time. It was a terrible journey moving up these small trenches. ------------ He was conscious and happy until we reached Divisional Headquarters, when he grew weaker. We got to the hospital as soon as possible. He practically died in my arms, breathing his last at the hospital.’

He was buried next day at Vauchelles. General Hunter Weston, who attended the funeral, arranged for an oak cross and iron railings around the grave.

• 8 years later...

Just bringing this one back up as I am interested in identifying, if possible, both W R Bailey and Mr Herford. I assume Bailey to be Prowse's servant and, as an old Somerset LI CO, wonder whether this is 8867 Pte W R Bailey, 1st Somerset LI? The only Mr Herford who looks likely is 2nd Lt Richard Hugh Herford, York and Lancaster Regt. I assume him to be a member of Prowse's staff so he wouldn't necessarily be from an 11th Brigade battalion, The circumstances of how and where he died are also interesting.

How: shot in the back above, shot in the stomach according to Lt V F S Hawkins of the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, wounded by a shell fragment according to Middlebrook.

Where: died at Marieux according to Lt V F S Hawkins, 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, buried at Vauchelles (above), actually buried at Louvencourt (both Marieux and Vauchelles are to the west of Louvencourt and it would seem strange to bring him back towards the front to bury him except that there are no cemeteries at the other two (OK one grave in Marieux Communal Cemetery for the pedants amongst us. :rolleyes: )

Any additional information gratefully received.