Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter Beattie

PPCLI

Terry, John et al.

Can I ask, is the man below one of the men in your non-commemoration project?

Private 1507, Peter Beattie, Highland Cyclist Bn. His MIC also lists him as Royal Highlanders under the same number, 1507.

The Scottish National War Memorial records him died F&F, date of death 31st August 1916, while attached to the KOSB. I can't find him on the CWGC database (Beattie, Beatty, Beattey, Batey etc). I have also used Geoff's search engine with various regt. number and date searches but to no avail.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart

He is not in our 'possibles' list as he does not appear in the GRO Overseas Death Index. There is only one Peter Beattie listed and it is not him.

Hi Terry,

Thank you. I wonder where that leaves us? I don't have any further information relating to this man or his death. I only stumbled across him when another forum member sent me a spreadsheet of KOSB casualties. Since he is on the Scottish National War Memorial I presume he will be in SDGW since that appears to be the source of the SNWM's data. Is the fact that he is listed in SDGW sufficient 'evidence' for him to be recognised by the CWGC?

Stuart

What's that word I'm looking for? Oh yes - doh!

Oh well, that is strange. I'm sure that the Scottish National War Memorial records are based on SDGW data - all the same blatant transcription errors are present in each e.g. my parish Rerrick is usually entered as Kerrick. As you'll know there are thousands more examples and they are shared between the two datasets. I wonder what the story is regards peter beattie?

Thanks LIT.

Stuart

LIT,

Thank you for the Perth RoH information. I was going to check through the Scottish War Memorial site but hadn't yet found the time.

Does anyone know what the position is regarding a soldier who died overseas (F&F according to the SNWM) but isn't listed in the GRO Overseas Death Index?

Stuart

Hello everyone,

Just bringing this back up in case anyone can offer advice as to the next step regards a man commemorated on the Scottish National War Memorial as having died 'F&F', on 31st August 1916, but not listed on the GRO Overseas Death Index.

I have checked Ancestry, but no joy. I am not from the Perth area so cannot carry out local newspaper or headstone searches. Since he isn't listed on the GRO Overseas Death Index, I can't see where there will be any official documentation surviving.

Thanks,

Stuart