Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Balkans and the Great War

awakefield

Just to flag up that the Centre for First World War Studies at the University of Birmingham will be running a study day on the above subject on Saturday 22 November.

The day will begin at 10am and run until 5.51pm. Three of the four papers are now confirmed:

Dr Steven Morewood: 'Britain and Greece in World War One'

Simon Moody: 'Styles of Salonika Warfare: The Experience of two British Battalions (2nd Buffs and 7th Ox & Bucks Light Infantry).'

Alan Wakefield: 'The First "Prop" Falls: Defeating Bulgaria, 1918.'

Please contact Mrs Carolyn Sweet, Secretary of the Centre for First World War Studies, for details: 0121 414 3983 C.Y.Sweet@bham.ac.uk

Discounts on the fee are available for Friends/Members of the Centre and Members of the Salonika Campaign Society.

An update on the Day School at Birmingham.

The final paper has been finalised:

Viv John: ‘Murder, Madness and Mayhem: The Causes, Events and Repercussions of the Balkan Wars of 1912 and 1913’

Costs, inc tea/coffee and lunch: £15 for Friends/Members of the Centre for First World War Studies & Members of the Salonika Campaign Society. Non-members £25.

Application forms available from Centre for First World War Studies (see 1st posting) or PM me.

ALAN

Thanks for the flag up, it's a neglected theatre.

Yes, it is very much a neglected theatre of war. It is good to have the support of John Bourne at the Centre for First World Studies to put on such a study day. The Salonika Campaign Society, of which I am currently Chairman, also keeps interest alive and still has links with sister organisations in France, Greece and Serbia.

i have just purchased "letters from No. 4 canadian general Hospital" by J J Mckenzie these are all from the Salonika Front.

regards John

Alan,

Will there be any publication coming out of it that could be purchased? I'm concentrating on that theater right now in regard to the unit I am studying and am always looking for new input.

Mike Morrison

• 1 year later...

Hi Awakefield,

I am from Belgrade and am currently researching for my father's bio. I am unaware of any Serbian organisations supporting the Salonika Front. I have recently returned to Belgrade form OZ and have a lot searching and researching to do to put the pieces together. Can you please put me in the right direction.

Thanks Zoritsa

Hi Zoritsa

There is a Serbian association that commemorates the Salonika Campaign. Along with the British Salonika Campaign Society, of which I am Chairman, and fellow French and Greek associations, it meets in Greece over the last weekend of September for official acts of commemoration. The title of the association is: 'Association of preserving traditions of Serbian liberation wars until 1918'. It's website address, which contains contact info, is as follows: www.dzntors1918.org

Regards

ALAN