Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph of soldier from WW!

susan9681

Hi

I have inherited an old photograph album, there are pictures of 3 men in different uniforms, I know my great great uncle died in France in 1915, he was in the 2nd bt Warwickshire reg. one of the photos was taken in Malta, Ive heard his reg were there before they went to France.

I wondered if there is anyway I could prove the photo was of him, the other 2 photos Ive no idea what reg they are

Thank you for any help this is the first time on this board, and Ive found it very interesting

Sue

Sue,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you scan the photos and attach them to this thread so that we can see them?

There is often information that can be gleaned from photos of soldiers that can help with dates, places, units, etc.

Ken

If you click on the "Add Reply" button next to the "Fast Reply" button below this post you will see, on the next page that appears, a large text box and below that a button that says "browse". Click on that and navigate to where your scan resides on your computer and when you have found it click the "upload" button.

The only problem that might arise is that there is a maximum file size of 100Kb per image.

Let us know if you need help to reduce the file size of the scanned image.

Ken

Sue,

That doesn't look like a military uniform to me, but I'm no expert on these matters. I am sure someone will read this thread and give you more information.

Ken

This has postcard on the back it says a photo studio in great yarmouth

Hi Susan

Of the photos you have posted the last one appears to be a straightforward WWI picture. It is rather blurred so it is not possible for me to see if there is anything further that can be gleaned from it.

Might it be possible to re-photograph or rescan it?

I agree with Ken that the first picture does not look like a military uniform to me, more like a civilian band of some description (the instrument is a clue!) :P

The middle picture is very interesting to me. It Looks like a Khaki Drill (cotton - lighter weight worn in the tropics etc) jacket/frock . The front is cut in the same manner as those worn by kilted regiments.

The innovation that I have not seen before is the cartridge holders over the pockets. This is not (to my knowledge) a standard military jacket. It may be for an irregular garment of some description or (and this is what I am tending towards) a specially made garment for hunting (perhaps big game - where having easy access to additional rounds quickly might be important!) Do you know of any connections with India? That would seem to be a possibility to me. Or possibly Africa during the Boer War?

The 2nd Warwickshires were indeed in Malta at the outbreak of war and went to France and Flanders on the 6th of October, ....

I wonder where they were prior to going to Malta?

Hope this helps

Have you checked on Ancestry to see if service records etc survive?

Chris

On the back it says the malta photographic society 31 strada s giovanni Valetta my scanner not working at moment so cant scan it.

I also had another relation Edgar Fancote in the 1st world war he survived he was in army service corps.

Sue

I agree with Ken that the first picture does not look like a military uniform to me, more like a civilian band of some description (the instrument is a clue!) :P

Looks more like a tuba to me.

I think the jacket with cartridge holders might be military. Round about the South African War and shortly after there were a lot of odd outfits, often used by Mounted Infantry. I wouldn't be surprised to be told it is a pukka uniform.

Like Steve, I'd plump for mounted infantry. Somebody's Rifles, that sort of thing. That certainly looks like a pukka helmet on the chair. There is a badge on it but my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Like Steve, I'd plump for mounted infantry. Somebody's Rifles, that sort of thing. That certainly looks like a pukka helmet on the chair. There is a badge on it but my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Mine either apparently! I completely failed to see the helmet!!!

Now I have seen it....I cannot make out the badge either, again a closer pic would help.

Chris

It made me look anyway Tom, I'd say it was the Warwicks badge, would like to know how popular the jacket was though, looks a bit poncy if I may say,

Jon

Lol had to laugh at the poncy bit poor bloke doesnt look very old, I got a full album of people only know 2 of them why didnt they put who they were on them.

Ill try and scan tis one and the other one 2morrow but Im not very good Ill also do the backs of the pics see if this helps. I can find the medal cards of my two Fancotes, but no army records as I said Albert Fancote died in France but his cousin Edgar survived.

Sue

On the first I would opt for either a town band or a Volunteer band in grey. The instrument does not seem fully modern, and the headress would seem to indicate 1880's, or an old fashioned band by 1900.

The badge on the cap on the table beside the soldier looks like Royal Artillery, so he could be Royal Garrison Artillery or Royal Field Artillery. It's hard to see what sort of trousers/breeches he has.

Daggers

this the one could be Albert its got Valencia Malta on the back

Royal Warwick's, possibly mounted infantry Boer War period, you may find that men of this unit stopped off on route to Cape Town or they were used as garrsion troops on Malta

Hi Ive done the front and back of each pic. Hope these look better

Sue

Back of last pic

Royal Field or Garrison Artillery

Hi this is Albert Fancote I think

Hard to say Post Office type cap - not looking too much like regimental but uncertain as to the Patrol type jacket etc.