The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sidney Eady West Yorks Regt.

warproject

Hi All

Can anyone help with information about my GT.Uncle's son.

EADY,SIDNEY ARTHUR Private West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)2nd Bn.

Service No:268909

I have a picture of him in Uniform.

T.I.A.

Sandy

Hi

Here's some info. If you want full documents pm your email addy

Mel

EADY, SIDNEY ARTHUR

Initials: S A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/04/1918

Service No: 268909

Additional information: Son of Alfred and Naomi Eady, of 3, Bedale Rd., Wellingborough.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 9.

Cemetery: CRUCIFIX CORNER CEMETERY, VILLERS-BRETONNEUX

post-25542-1223751954.jpg

post-25542-1223751973.jpg

post-25542-1223752020.jpg

Hi Melon

Thanks again.

E-mail addy on the way.

Alfred was my grandfather Amos's brother.

Sandy

Birth

Sidney Arthur Eady

Year of Registration: 1899

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

District: Wellingborough

County: Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire

Volume: 3b

Page: 164 (click to see others on page)

Can we see the picture please

Mel

Hi Mel

I do not have it to hand at the moment .

Sidney was born 17th May 1899.

He is Alfred's son to his 2nd wife.

Sandy

Hi.

a bit of a 'potted' account of the days action(s).

24th April 1918:

3.30 a.m.

Enemy put down a heavy barrage of mixed gas and high-explosive shell along the Divisional front for over 3 hours eventually 'lifting' off the front line at 6.30 a.m. but remaining on the reserve positions of the Division.

Weather was dull and misty, mist, accentuated by the barrage helped to cover the enemy's infantry which had assembled in small parties, these then attacked led by five or six German tanks. Three enemy tanks were able to get within 100 yards of the trenches held by the 2nd West Yorks., followed by small parties of the enemy before they were observed. The West Yorks. 'opened up' with rifle and machine-gun fire but with little effect, the tanks then moving up to the British front line and firing up and down the latter with machine-guns, in effect, 'enfilade' fire.

War Diary 2nd West Yorks:

'The German infantry occupied the position. "D" Company held their position until the right flank was turned and then withdrew to Battalion Headquarters."

(Battalion Headquarters were located in the southern exits of Villers-Bretonneux, west of the Station).

Penetration had occured in the line at the juncture of the 2/4th Londons and the West Yorks. and the enemy had then 'turned the flanks.'

Of the forward Companies of the West Yorks., namely "A", "B" and "C", communication was lost, but it was apparent that they had suffered heavy casualties.

Battalion Headquarters (Major Ingham), organised a next line of defence south of the Station, but this line was only held by about 80 men.

8.00 a.m.:

Previously wounded, Major Ingham attempted to proceed to the Advanced Dressing Station but was unfortunately hit a second time and killed.

8.40 a.m.:

'Stragglers' had increased the new line of defence to about 140, but, once again, the enemy had turned the flank (the right), and a further withdrawal was carried out by Lieutenant Kennington. Position established was between the village and the Bois d'Aquenne.

Under intense pressure (the enemy tanks after passing the first system of trenches were moving straight forward in a north-westerly direction between Villers and the Bois d'Aquenne), the remaining West Yorks. retired westwards along the railway, gaining touch with the 2nd East Lancs., north, of the north-east corner of the Bois de Aquenne, with the latter forming a defensive flank from the railway to the main road running westwards from the village.

Heavy enemy machine-gun fire, causing many casualties again forced the line back to a position north of the railway.

10.30 a.m.:

West Yorks., with no ammunition and no prospect of further defence (battalion had effectively been 'wiped out), what was left of the battalion under command of Lieutenant Kennigton withdrew to reserve trenches located astride the north-west exits of the Bois l'Abbe and west of the Mon du Bois.

Hope the account is of some interest.

Ca Ira!

Chris.

Brilliant.

Thank you Chris.

It makes harrowing reading knowing your own relative was there.

Thank you very much.

Sandy

Hi Sandy.

Yes it does, but, in the best tradition of one of the finest 'fighting' regiments in the Great War, they 'stood fast.'

I will raise a glass to Sidney and his "Pals".

Ca Ira!

Chris.

Here we go Mel.

Sidney's picture.

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Thank you !!

What a wonderful photo of Sidney.

It's wonderful to see with all the details about him.

Such a baby face !

Can't imagine what they went through, also sad when you think his parents brought him home and he only had another 3/4 years left.

Makes you think!

Thank you for posting.

Mel

• 5 years later...

Really interested in reading all of this and seeing the original letter Alfred Eady wrote. He is my husband's great grandfather and Sidney is his great uncle. We will be taking our family to visit his grave this summer. Thank you.