Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

West Riding Regiment medal and service enquiry

pukkolla

Hi,

Can anyone provide any details regarding a medal group and plaque that I have in my possession. The group consists of a medal trio awarded to 3145 Pte. J.A.Fox West Riding Rgt. A medal pair awarded to 265809 Pte. L.W.Fox West Riding Rgt. And a Death Plaque to Percy Fox. If anyone can provide details of Medal Index Cards for these three individuals and also if anyone can confirm the relationship between the three it will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Pete.

After quick SDGW and census search having a guess at Lawrence W and Percy were brothers...Lawrence W born Batley on 1901 census living Menston with a Percy Fox as brother.

SDGW Gives a Percy Fox 776205 DVR TF RFA Born Menston.Enlisted Burley in Wharfedale kia 12/6/18

Just got to tie down the other TF West Ridings lad.(joseph arthur)

Theres a Joseph arthur Fox born Batley 1888 died Wharfedale(near menston??) 1925 aged 37. possible older brother?

Sources SDGW,Ancestry.

Ady

Joseph Arthur was in 1/6th West Ridings Discharged in 1916 with sickness with a SWB He was entitled to a 15 trio.

May be worth checking out CPGW site they have original nominals for 1/6th 2/6th WRR.

Page 35 and 41( they are both on there ) JA With 1/6th LW with 2/6th.

Sickness may tie in with early death in 1925?

Ady

Well done there Ady, strange how they moved out from Batley to Menston, or were they in High Royds at Menston.

Hi Roger

Theres 6 FOX named on Batleys WM possible rellies? Percy isnt on there.There is a new memorial been unveiled shortly at Menston He may appear on that there is a book also been published on research into the names on the new WM.

Ady

Roger

Spot on mate..1901 census gives Lawrences and Percy dad as Asylum worker so would be at the hospital up there.

Ady

After quick SDGW and census search having a guess at Lawrence W and Percy were brothers...Lawrence W born Batley on 1901 census living Menston with a Percy Fox as brother.

SDGW Gives a Percy Fox 776205 DVR TF RFA Born Menston.Enlisted Burley in Wharfedale kia 12/6/18

Just got to tie down the other TF West Ridings lad.(joseph arthur)

Theres a Joseph arthur Fox born Batley 1888 died Wharfedale(near menston??) 1925 aged 37. possible older brother?

Sources SDGW,Ancestry.

Ady

Ady,

Thanks for this, it has certainly initiated some interesting and very helpful dialogue. I owe you.

Cheers,

Pete.

Lawrence W Fox's MIC....

Steve,

Superb, thanks, this helps a lot. I owe both you and Ady for the assistance you have given. Let me know if you need any help if you ever research any individuals from Hull, I can look through old newspapers etc. at our main library.

Cheers,

Pete.

• 7 years later...
Guest pickupfam1

Hello - I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST BUT THIS FAMILY IS PART OF THE CRABTREE FAMILY.

MARY ELIZABETH CRABTREE IS MY GT GT AUNT - HER FATHER WILLIAM HENRY CRABTREE IS MY GT GT GT GRANDFATHER. MARY MARRIED ARTHUR LAWRENCE SMITH - THEY BOTH WORKED AT MENSTON ASYLUM. THEY HAD TWO CHILDREN LUCY SMITH 1895 AND NORMAN SMITH 1897 - NORMAN WAS KIA IN 1915 AGE 18. I HAVE PLACED A MEMORIAL FOR HIM ON THE WW1 SITE. THE FOX FAMILY WERE THROUGH ARTHUR LAWRENCE SMITH'S FAMILY - HIS SISTER MARRIED GEORGE FREDERICK FOX AND THEY HAD 3 SONS THE ELDER WAS JOSEPH ARTHUR FOX AND IN THE 1891 CENSUS JOSEPH WAS LIVING WITH HIS GRANDFATEHR ABRAHAM SMITH IN BATLEY YORKSHIRE. I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL FOR ANY MORE INFORMATION ON THESE BOYS. IT SEEMS THAT NO ONE ELSE HAS REMEMBERED NORMAN SMITH. I CANNOT FIND ANY MARRIAGE FOR HIS SISTER LUCY. HOWEVER AS THESE LADS WERE COUSINS, IF YOU HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE MEDALS OR PHOTORAPH OF ANY OF THE FOX LADS, PLEASE MAY I HAVE A COPY.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND HELP

NADINE CRABTREE