The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal CI/Ancestry look up !?

Moston

post-8189-1223566421.jpgI'm under terrible domestic pressure to find out what I can about the Mrs's Gt Granddad.

Ernest Cole.

This is what's on the back of his Mons Star...

Pte E.Cole

5/D.GDS (apparently the '5' maybe a '6')

(he survived the war)

Can anyone help identify this chap and thus ensure I get some tea...etc.... B)

Sussex, Crowborough?...in that kind of area

Well found Mark! How did you track that MIC down so quickly? Methinks I need to develop better ancestry search skills ...

That's impressively quick !

Can you decipher it !?!? - no mention of promotion to Sgt? (if the photo is anything to go by)

Guards? - If it is my Mrs will never let me live it down that her side of the family had a Guardsman.

Well found Mark! How did you track that MIC down so quickly? Methinks I need to develop better ancestry search skills ...

Hi,

The Regimental Number was slightly different.

Causes of Discharge - Paragraph 392 of King's Regulations

(xxi) The termination of his ____ period of engagement

Regards Mark

Aha ! - brilliant....is he a Guard?

Hi,

Private in the 5th Dragoon Guards

Mark

This is excellent ! - thank you all for your help.

I have only just received the details off the back of his medal today - until now we've only had the photo which was interepted as him maybe being in the ASC (shoulder flash looked like it) - family tradition was he was always good with horses which fitted the ASC story ! :rolleyes:

Couldn't have been further from the truth could we !

Dam spit & bother...my wife really does have a Guardsman in the family.

I'll go for that 5th Dragoons

(very short shoulder title just visible)

Conduct stripes for sure.

Regards CT-Guards

Hi,

Dragoon Guards, 5th (Princess Charlote of Wales), Aldershot in August 1914. Depot Dunbar.

Picture from 'The British Army of August 1914, An Illustrated Directory' by Ray Westlake

Regards Mark

He has a "pension record" on Ancestry.

It's indexed under no. 6213 but on the papers this is crossed out and 5197/5DG written over.

Ernest Cole, Cabman, born Rotherfield, age 18yrs 3mo on attestation on 27 Aug 1902 (he was originally in 7th DG with no. 6213).

I've only read the first page (Ancestry says there are 25), but can download the rest for you later tonight if you like.

PM me an email address.

Adrian

EDIT: Reading on a bit (sorry, couldn't resist!) he was actually discharged in Aug 1915 having served his term of engagement (13 years).

Very many thanks Adrian - I have PM'd you my e-mail address.

Thanks to Adrian I have digested the 25 pages of his records and passed them onto his family.

Just one question.....

He was discharged to Army Reserve in 1905 until he re-engaged in 1914. What did this actually mean ? - did he go back to civilian life but keep up to date with training?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Here's wot www.1914-18.net says:

http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

He would have probably been under Section B Reserve, with his Reserve due to expire, 12 years after enlistment, in August 1914 (presumably JUST after the outbreak of war...), which was then extended by one year to thirteen years due to being at War. It looks like he was serving 3 years Active, 9 on Reserve, which seems to have been quite common just after the Boer War, presumably due to the fact that they had an excess of soldiers after the war, and didn't need that many more men joining up on the usual 7 year active service terms?

With a discharge for time served that early in the war, it is possible that he re-enlisted. ASC perhaps? ;) This should have shown up on his medal card, but you never know...

Steve.

Hmmm - plot thickens.

He joined up in Aug 1902, served until 1905, Army Reserve due to expire Aug 1914 - but did one more year (discharged Aug 1915). He re-engaged as under Section 'D'...but not for the 4 years?

As for ASC...now that would be funny !

Is it possible that he did re-join? - would it not have been on these papers if he had ?