Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Grandfathers brother..Luke Daly

mentorscotus

I have now been given a little information that my grandfather John Daly/Daley/Daily, had an older brother LUKE DALY who was either in the Grenadier Guards or the Irish Guards during WW1.I believe he was a private, number 8053.I know he survived the war and later married in Wishaw,Scotland.Any information on LUKE DALY,his service or anything else may assist in my search for Johns details.

I thought that the John Daly in the R.I.F. NO 24896, was my John ,as most things fit.The one thing that does not fit is the name of the person who wrote to the army for his medals in 1921.On the card it stated it was his fathers request and named the man as Daniel.My grandfather John and his brother Luke were the sons of Luke Daly and Mary Lappin ?

Do you think another relative may have written on their behalf?

Last month I visited Mont Noir Cemetery,France and Flanders where no 24896 is buried.

A beautiful clearing in the woods on the hilltop.....a fine resting place.If the John there is my grandfather then he is resting in such a peaceful place.

I thought of all the others there...and elsewhere.....with grateful thanks.

Any help on LUKE DALY or further thoughts on my problems on grandfather JOHN welcomed.Many thanks.

Mentorscotus.

hello

There is a marriage entry for Armagh RC Church - between Luke Daly and Mary Lappan- date 1st August 1869. Any help?

Do you have Luke's MIC?

Also his service record is online - having a look now.

David

Mentorscotus,

Guards' service records are kept at Wellington Barracks,Birdcage Walk,London.SW1E 6HQ.

I haven't done it myself but I believe that you can ask for a copy and pay a donation. They didn't suffer the losses that other records sustained in WW2 bombing.

Sotonmate

Hi

Luke Daly 8053 has some service records on Ancestry

Enlisted into 2nd Bn Irish Guards in Middlesbrough on 6th May 1915 aged 32 yrs and 6 months.

Occupation given as Blastfurnace man and address as 83 Lumley Street. Born Felling, Durham but N-O-K given as Annie Day (mother).

If you dont have his records i could email them to you if you pm with your address.

Ellie

Got to be honest-Don't think this is your man-It was common enough for people to get others to write on their behalf and I think it unlikely that Daniel could be anything other than his father as recorded. I'm fairly certain that Luke/Mary is a strong lead given their absence from any of the british census data and your information provided.

Luke's address at 1915 is,as Devonmaid reports, in Middlesborough but the fact he enlisted with the Irish guards tends to suggest a strong Irish connection. Daly, almost without saying, is a frequent Irish surname.

I think it is likely that both Luke and John were born in Ireland (probably Armagh) between 1870 and 1885 ish. I would think Luke moved to England after 1901 for work.

Maybe you could post some more details re John? The regiment,as you may know, is correct for the area, but I'm presuming he moved to England at some point and had children.

Happy to help if I can.

David

Got to be honest-Don't think this is your man-It was common enough for people to get others to write on their behalf and I think it unlikely that Daniel could be anything other than his father as recorded. I'm fairly certain that Luke/Mary is a strong lead given their absence from any of the british census data and your information provided.

Luke's address at 1915 is,as Devonmaid reports, in Middlesborough but the fact he enlisted with the Irish guards tends to suggest a strong Irish connection. Daly, almost without saying, is a frequent Irish surname.

I think it is likely that both Luke and John were born in Ireland (probably Armagh) between 1870 and 1885 ish. I would think Luke moved to England after 1901 for work.

Maybe you could post some more details re John? The regiment,as you may know, is correct for the area, but I'm presuming he moved to England at some point and had children.

Happy to help if I can.

David

Dear David,

John was born in Tyrone/Armagh borderlands on 21 Aug 1880

Luke was born on 5 Sept 1878 also in that area.

They lived in Charter School Lane Armagh and their father,also called Luke,was a railway porter,later a small farmer.

Their mother Mary Lappin married Luke snr in 1869 at Clonfeacle.

Both boys moved to Lanarkshire Scotland to find work.John married Bridget Bennett of Coatbridge in 1901.As far as I know John enlisted at Hamilton but was sent to the Royal Irish Fusiliers.His service no was 24896,which would lead me to conclude that the man buried at Mont Noir is my grandfather.Think you may be right about Luke, David as the man whose details you quoted has different parents on the record.So off we go again to trace them both.

Luke suvived the war and married a Wishaw,Motherweell woman in 1919.

Thanks for the help,both of you.