Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swiss border

Guest Biplane pilot

Guest Biplane pilot

I've always wondered about the physical arrangement of the Western Front at the Swiss border. Did the opposing trench lines actually butt up against the frontier? What arrangements (if any) were made between the combatants and the Swiss border guards?

Hi Biplane

I asked the same question a few months ago look here I still rather like the idea that there was a little man telling soldiers to "****** off" but can't quite see it somehow?! ;)

Guest Biplane pilot

Thank you Stoner; I appreciate the info. The Unfortunate Region site is well worth revisiting, especially for quality photos of GW battlefields today.

There is an article in the latest issue of 14-18 magazine on a French plan to invade Switzerland (with or without Swiss co-operation) which was drawn up at the end of 1915 when the French feared that Germany might try to outflank the French left through that country. This was called Plan H. A 1917 version envisaged the participation of two French Divisions through Italy as well.

I have collected this bi-monthly magazine since number 1 (now number 18) but I have to confess that I need a dictionary by my side as I struggle through it.

What a pity there is no English language equivalent - or is there and I have never heard of it?