Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd and 7th Battalion Suffolk Regiment 1915

ChrisWoolcock

Hi Chris,

the diary for the 2nd Suffolks June-July 1915 is available to download from the NA and is held in WO 95/1424

The dairy for the 7th Suffolks is not online yet but can be requested, I believe a base rate of £8.50 for 10 pages which usually works out around a months worth of diary, it is held in WO 95/1852

Although I am going personally this Saturday so do not know details as yet, i understand that Bury St Edmunds Records Office hold a large amount of Military data too. If you are close, it may be worth having a look as they have an online index i believe - or do it the good old fashioned way & call them!

Many thanks to you both for your help. Have downloaded the 2nd and applied for the 7th.

My Edward Rumney was in 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers in trenches at Vierstaadt. He was wounded and died in field hospital on 13th July 1915. The family story is that he heard he was being relieved, jumped up and was shot in the head by a sniper. According to the war diaries, "the Suffolk Regiment" relieved them on 12th July 1915, which is why I'm anxious to see which regiment it was and if there is any more info regarding the couple of days before the 13th in their diaries, so that perhaps I can narrow down which of the "others" who were wounded might have been Edward.

The 2nd were in Ypres on the 12th, so not them.

Again - many thanks for your help.