Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

34 Squadron RAF

kingsnorth36

Hi

Im looking for some information regarding 34 Squadron and specifically a pilot, Tilden Christopher Thomson. He claimed to have been in the air and over the same sector when Von Richtofen was shot down, in fact saying that he was used as bait. Ive not seen any references to 34 Squadrons activities that day. In fact that seemed to have been the role of 209 Squadron and specifically May, My question is their anything in it or was he being , er how should I say it fanciful. ???? He was awarded the Croix De Guerre!

As always any help appreciated.

Yep, 34 Sqn was withdrawn from operations on the Western Front on October 29th 1917, having been notified for transfer to the Italian Front. They were in Italy a couple of weeks later.

Sheer speculation this, but TC Thomson was flying for 34 Sqn in July 1917. Perhaps the Richthofen event he was claiming (sic) to be linked to was the shooting down and wounding of the German ace on 6th July 1917, when Capt DC Cunnell and 2Lt AE Woodbridge of 20 Sqn are believed to have hit a Red Albatros over Wervicq.

34 Sqn had only recently arrived at Bray Dunes on the coast, joining 3rd (Corps) Wing of IV Bgde. 20 Sqn was at Ste Marie Cappel in 11th (Army) Wing of II Bgde. Would 34 Sqn have been in the vicinity of this particular air battle? I haven't come across a mention of this, and it seems substantially inland. 34 Sqn would be photographing and registering nearer the coast, in all likelihood, in preparation for the coastal offensive around Nieuport that never happened.

What else can you reveal about Thomson? Where did he say/write he was used as bait, for example? The practice of "bait" was definitely not unknown at this time, by the way.

Regards,

Trevor

ALL, Know nothing about whereabouts of 34 Sqdn., but here is an award to 209 Sqdn. pilot for services ;

Makes for great reading if nothing else !!

EDWARDS Stearne T DSC Flt.Cdr. RNAS 85T365

No. 209 Squadron R.A.F

C-in-C France 03.06.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - France 1918 DSC - bar to

For conspicuous bravery and most brilliant leadership of our Fighting Patrols against enemy aircraft.

On the 12th April, 1918, he shot down in our lines, near Veuequemont, an enemy two-seater.

On the 2nd May, 1918, while leading a patrol consisting of four scouts, he encountered a hostile formation of eight enemy scouts over Brie.

Attacking this formation, he drove down one of the enemy completely out of control. A short while afterwards he observed a formation of six enemy scouts. In the engagement that ensued, he drove one of the enemy machines to its destruction, whilst his patrol accounted for another.

He only broke off the fight owing to lack of ammunition.

In all, since the award of the D.S.C. was made to him, he has driven down one enemy machine that fell in on our lines, five which were destroyed, and two which fell completely out of control, at all times showing the greatest gallantry, and a fine offensive spirit.

Sadsac

kingsnorth36

I have a few fragments of information about 34 Sqdn from October 1917 until early January 1918 but regrettably they contain no information about TC Thomson. There is an informal group photo taken at Milan (presumably Linate) showing a number of unidentified aircrew whilst the squadron was en route for Istrana/Montebelluna. I posted this some time ago under

Chris

I'm still curious and interested to hear more about the context of the original question from Kingsnorth36. What did Thomson have to say?

If you get a moment..

Trevor

• 9 years later...

I appreciate that the last posting on this subject was back in 2008 but last week I found the gravestone of Group Capt Tilden Christmas Thomson Croix de Guerre and Palms  in my local churchyard . Research suggests that the info re the shooting down of the Red Baron is correct. If there is anyone still interested in this out there please contact me on here.  

• 1 year later...

Hi There 

Just following up on this old thread would love to learn more please send me a p/m

Regards

Richard

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My great Grandad is Tilden Thomson. Everything you say is true my grandad was David Thomson who past away a few years ago now. Any information I can provide I will.

Kind regards 

Edward