Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sandringham company/all the kings men

Ali Hollington

Hi,

A conversation the other day started my memory spinning with regards to an incident at Galipoli, I've got it in my mind that the staff of sandringham (the Queens estate) joined possible the Norfolk regiment and where effectively wiped.

I believe it was made into a tv programme as I have seen a book on the subject with David Jason on the cover.

So;

1- what is believed to have happened to the men?

2- is this book/programme rated by forum members as being correct?

I appreciate the book and tv may be different and that opinions are poss. divided.

Regards

Ali.

Ali,

Try the search facility by pressing the button on the light blue bar towards the top of the screen. I just entered 5th Norfolk, and at least a dozen threads came up, one of which was this:

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...&hl=5th+norfolk

Hope this helps.

Glad to oblige, Ali. The Search facilty can be quite capricious at times (or more probably it's me being dopey), but for best results choose 'All Forums' from the bottom left panel, and press the (30 days and) 'older' option from the bottom right panel.

You'll find plenty to keep you occupied!

WFA member Dick Rayner published a five page critic on the BBC programme in the April 2000 edition of the WFA magazine 'Stand To' under the title 'The Sandringhams at Suvla Bay'. If you are not a member of the WFA I can send you a phtocopy. Dick also gave a talk on 'All The King's Men - The Facts' to the Norwich & Waveney Branch WFA in 2003. His conclusion was that 'Hardly any marks at all can be awarded (to the programme) for historical accuracy' and described it as 'this flawed drama.'

Having said that I enjoyed both the programme (David Jason is an excellent actor) and Dick's talk immensely!

Brian Buck

Hi Brian,

Have just joined the WFA, so will look into the article, but thanks for the information.

Ali

Ali,

Welcome to the WFA. If you go to one of the branch meetings (see WFA website for branches and meetings) I am sure that someone will be able to let you have a copy of the April 2000 'Stand To'. Best of luck.

Brian

Ali,

I have an electronic copy of Dick Rayner's article and could send it to you 'for reasearch purposes only', as they say.

If you go to my website (address below) and find the email link at the bottom of the left-hand frame, you could send me your address and I'll forward it on to you.

Also on the same basis I have:

Williamson, Tom. The Disappearance of the King's Company (Sandringham) in Gallipoli : the day the hills caught fire. Ilfracombe, Stockwell, 1979.

Contact me if you're interested.

Also check Jul Snelders's pages regarding this topic at: http://user.glo.be/~snelders/sand.htm

Hi Bryn,

My reserch is only so that I can go back to my friends and say "Well actually....."

Unfortunately as an ex serviceman, my friends and family see me as some military expert!

I'll contact you via your site.

Ali.