Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th Royal Fusiliers

Trebrys

Would anyone know where this battalion was from around July 1916 to April 1917?

I have come into possession of photographs of some of the soldiers of its A Company and would like to trace their movements at this time.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Trebrys.

19th Bde, 33rd Division.

Somme: Battle of Albert, Battle of Bazentin Ridge, High Wood (all July), then back again in November.

Arras, First and Second Battles of the Scarpe (April 1917)

From looking at the divisional history, it seems that the periods on the Somme between battles were spent in the Line, or not far behind it, including a spell holding the old line at Gommecourt.

After the Somme, they had a brief spell out of the Line, and then went back in December to the Rancourt-Bouchavesnes sector, relieving the 30th French Division. Conditions were appalling; Trench Foot was a huge problem, and the division spent its worst Christmas of the war. After Xmas they shifted south and took over the sector of the Somme itself, until being withdrawn from the Line for training, in March, in the Corbie area before proceeding to the Arras area.

That's absolutely marvellous, sir!

Many thanks! I'll be able to focus on their movement now. Thanks again.

Regards,

Trebrys.

• 11 months later...

I have come into possession of photographs of some of the soldiers of its A Company and would like to trace their movements at this time.

Regards,

Trebrys.

I am trying to trace my grandfather, Private (later Corporal) Leonard Nolan, 20th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. Any chance of seeing the photo? - I don't know his company, but you never know.

David

• 7 months later...

I would like to see the photos if possible esprecially if they are of the whole company.

Regards,

David

Regards,

Trebrys.