Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Beds Regt Numbering

Ghost

What does the prefix "3/" infront of a Bedfordshire Regt soldiers regt no signify, 3rd Bn? I am trying to find more info on the movements of 3/8381 Col/Sgt C.Munday

Anyone know what detachments were left in Bedford, if any, when the 3rd and 4th Bns moved to Felixstowe to Join the Harwich Garrison?

Alan

originally from 3rd {Reserve} Battalion

A lot of men rejoined the Army at the start of the war and were given Special Reserve battalion numbers (3/ being most common) and posted to either line battalions (i.e. the Regulars) to go straight into action, or to New Army battalion to strengthen them with "old hands". These men were often made N.C.O.s in these battalions due to their prior experience. Some of these men stayed with the battalions to train them and then went back to the Reserve battalion, usually if they were too old for overseas service.

Oddly, there is one sole, single document in his WO364 record on Ancestry, that suggests he has a file elsewhere!

post-6536-1222526374.jpg

Steve.

I can only see one Medal card on either the National Archives or ancestry sites which suggests he didn't serve overseas.

post-6536-1222526634.jpg

Steve.

When was he born?

There are some "pension Records" (i.e. WO364) for a Charles Munday, born circa 1863, joined the Army in 1881, and served with the Bedfords from 1881 to 1909. Discharged after 28 years service. Married to Mary Elizabeth Williams, 20-1-1884. 10 children - William Charles (1885), Charles Herbert (1888), Frank Ernest (1889), Lucy Mary (1892), Hilda Glays (1895), Ena Muriel (1897), Percy Victor (1900), Arthur (1902), Edward (1904, deceased) and Elsie Louise (1905). Served in Malta & India in the 1890s. Later on the Permanent Staff of the 5th Bedfords. Lived in St Neots, Hunts. after discharge.

The above man's records seem to be appended to discharge papers for your man 3/8381. Re-enlisted 12-9-1914, service with the Colours = 4.5 years, no overseas service, discharged 18-10-1918. These list his battalion as the 12th Transport Workers Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment.

Per the LLT:

12th and 13th (Transport Workers) Battalions:

Formed at Croydon in December 1916 and March 1917. Essentially training and administration units, providing men for work at ports and docks.

Working BACKWARDS through his file it appears he was stationed on Home Service.

Bedfordshire Regiment Depot, 12-9-1914 to 10-11-1916

3rd Battalion, 11-11-1916 to 18-1-1917

12th TW Battalion, 19-1-1917 to 18-10-1918

Excuse the fractured post, I have been adding to it as I worked through his file. His whole service is covered in the file.

Ancestry references are : Search > Military Records > British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 > M > Mu > Mun > Images 667 to 689

Name: Charles Munday

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863

Age at enlistment: 18

Birth Parish: Weston Turville

Birth County: Bucks

Document Year: 1881

Regimental number: 2878

Number of Images: 5

(with documents to both sides of the reference point, mainly to the "left")

Steve.

Thanks all, especially Steve for all that work. This is the 3rd thread looking for info on his war service and first reply.

I have found his pension record only, and this ceases at initial retirement prior to re-enlisting for the war, not even listing his death date. No record at all found for war service.

Alan

As you can see I did find his pension record on ancestry with the arc slip, also Mic and rolls. Then I was stumped.

After 28 yrs service he re-enlisted for the duration. 52 on re-enlistment, but as he was an experienced training Sgt, I suppose that is why he was accepted.

5th Bedfords is new, I know he returned from India to the 3rd Bn and then 4th Bn, St Neots detachment, as PSI.

I never found discharge papers or LLT ( I don't know that one). Where on earth did you find these? (with documents to both sides of the reference point, mainly to the "left"),. I will have to get back to the Library and see if I can go left.

A year after discharge he died, 25 Sep 1919, and was buried in St Neots with full military honours. I have a copy of newspaper cutting with several Bedfords and served family sailors names. Now I have to get hold of a copy of his death certificate and see exactly what was the cause of death. His daughter said " he was hit on the head with a boot thrown by a draftee" resulting in his death a year later! I suspect brain cancer, but if the boot is substantiated as attribuyable then this may be a non commemeration!

One daughter missed off the list, Florrence, and one more after 1st discharge Bessie. 12 in all, busy man. He was Born may 1862

Thanks Alan

Very nice Steve! Nothing to add after Steve's charge other than I can add his Silver War badge Medal Roll to your collection if you would like it Alan?

His records do mention an operation for the removal of a cancerous growth on his neck - so it could be the "boot wot did it".

He was also not in the best of condition, with his records mentioning the fact that he was heavily overweight several times.

If you would like a copy of the records send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them.

Steve.

Stebbie Steve, papers rec'd thanks. Fills in some gaps, that's for sure. I wouldn't have thought a 48 inch chest was obese, but there you go. His obituary in the local paper said he was a "splendidly built man of fine character".

I had never heard of the "12th and 13th (Transport Workers) Battalions:

Formed at Croydon in December 1916 and March 1917. Essentially training and administration units, providing men for work at ports and docks."

Any pointers to where I could find out more about these units? Transport link starts off a 5 generation link with army transport.

Steve Fuller, yes thanks I would appreciate a copy of his medal roll. After allmost 40 yrs service he was at least entitled to a SWB.

Alan

Ok Alan, email me on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk and I can reply with it as an attachment - too big to post here.