Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wellington Mounted Rifles, NZEF

alliekiwi

Is anyone able to tell me if/when the Wellington Mounted Rifles of the NZEF were in Mesopotamia, or were they just in Sinai and Palestine? (Obviously, this is post-Gallipoli.)

I have a copy of the official history but, to be honest, geography is not my strong point and the place names it mentions mean very little to me, country-wise. Let alone the fact that various boundaries and names have changed significantly since then!

Allie

the Middle Eastern impaired

Mate,

As far as I am aware the WMR was never in Iraq and fought only in Egypt and Palestine, yes and Gallipoli.

S.B

Guest Bill Woerlee

Allie

In terms of formations, Steve is absolutely correct.

In terms of personnel, there is room for doubt. Towards the end of the war, a special training formation was established called the "Dunster Force." Capable officers and NCO's were recruited from all the various allied forces to man this mission which did go through Iraq. Men from all the various Light Horse Regiments were recruited along with some ICC.

From NZ, I do not have any list except a name from some correspondence indicating that a certain Captain CF Seaward was attached to this force. He was not the only person. There were other men from the NZEF who joined the force. But this is at an individual level, not a specific deployment of the WMR.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

Is correct a few men were sent to Iraq as part of Dunster force and fought in Northern Iraq.

I take bill's word that Capt Cecil Frederick Seaward MC was from the WMR but I do show 11/971 Sgt Raymond Mark Barrell from the WMR in Dunster Force.

Cheers

S.B

Guest Bill Woerlee

Steve,

Mate, the fellow I was referring to was 13/455 Cyril Frederick SEAWARD of Te Awamutu, who served with the Auckland Mounted Rifles. Seaward transferred to the infantry where he won his MC on the Western Front, gazetted 6 April 1918. (Gazette Issue 30614 published on the 5 April 1918. Page 48)

Cheers

Bill

SEAWARD Cyril Frederick 13/455

MC 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Bn Auckland Regiment

LG 26 November 1917, p 12323

Citation, LG 6 April, p4241

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. H e was in command of a support platoon in an attack, and seeing the leading company suffering severe casualties, he at once led his platoon forward to support them, filling a gap in the line as the advance proceeded. He did valuable work when the objective was captured in making the position secure, and set a fine example of coolness and courage to his men."

A very general reference!!

Allie

I agree with both Steve and Bill :D

Which bit of action are you interested in as I have a few references which may help you?

Zack

Mates,

There was also the NZ Pack Troop (signals) with Reinforcments sent to Iraq as well as the Dunsterforce instructors.

NZ Dunsterforce

Maj Staines

Capt Bathgate

Capt Hay

Capt Kingscote

Capt Nicol

Capt Rutherford

Capt Scoular

Capt Seaward

Capt Sedden

Capt Tracy

Capt Wells

10748 Sgt Agnew

11/971 Sgt Barrell

12/303 Sgt Blyth

12/3949 Sgt Brophy

12/1162 Sgt Brown

20098 Sgt Clarke

9/1415 Sgt Duncan

9/144 Sgt Grant

8/66 Sgt Leeden

8/3359 Sgt Missen

10858 Sgt MacKenzie (Alister)

34906 Sgt Nimmo

32373 Sgt O'Connor

24058 Sgt Ryburn

15983 Sgt Smith

6/3172 Sgt Straebridge

23/1837 Sgt Swinbanks

33158 Sgt Tollan

41050 Sgt Turnbull

10134 Sgt Weld

54627 Sgt Wilkins

S.B

*blinks* I wonder where my post from yesterday went? I post after Bill and before Zack!

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. It's certainly near-impossible to make a statement about who went where, isn't it, without the file in front of you, what with exceptions to the norm!

What I was trying to ascertain was where L/Cpl Duncan McKenzie of the WMR served, as the file from Trentham hasn't arrived in time for me to edit into my book. Unfortunately the manuscript went to the publisher yesterday afternoon. Since I could only work out where Duncan probably served, as opposed to where he possibly served, I went with just Sinai and Palestine.

Thanks for the list, Steve. Unfortunately it's not my McKenzie/Mackenzie on the list as the service number doesn't match.

Surname MCKENZIE

Given Name Duncan

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 43101

Rank Lance-Corpl

Next of Kin Title A

Next of Kin Surname MCKENZIE

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Brenchley Mangatara

Roll 64

Page 3

Occupation Shepherd

Very interesting to hear about the NZ Pack Troop (signals) as well as the Dunster force.

Allie

Mate,

There is one McKenzie in the Pack Troop but not Duncan.

4/2199 Sapper William McKenzie

S.B

*blinks* I wonder where my post from yesterday went? I post after Bill and before Zack!

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. It's certainly near-impossible to make a statement about who went where, isn't it, without the file in front of you, what with exceptions to the norm!

Thanks for the list, Steve. Unfortunately it's not my McKenzie/Mackenzie on the list as the service number doesn't match.

Surname MCKENZIE

Given Name Duncan

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 43101

Rank Lance-Corpl

Next of Kin Title A

Next of Kin Surname MCKENZIE

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Brenchley Mangatara

Roll 64

Page 3

Occupation Shepherd

Very interesting to hear about the NZ Pack Troop (signals) as well as the Dunster force.

Allie

Woo hoo Allie!!! So close now!

Re Publisher. Is this your original or the proof copy that went to the publisher? If it is your original, you should still be able to make changes when you get the proof copy to check???

Way to go, girl!!

Cheers

Kim

Hi all

I have a map that belonged to LT col Whyte Wellington Mounted Rifles it is the area to the left Of Kut , SHUMRAN BAGHAILA T.C.74

He may have swapped it with another officer that served in this area?

As-well a wireless troops we also sent medics

I picked up a cig cigar case embossed with Basrah 1917 with a Royal Army Medical corps bade drawn on it

so may a NZer who served in this area

I think I really need to read up on the Dunster force, and certainly more about operations in the Middle East. I've certainly been narrowminded by focussng more on Gallipoli (antipodean failing, that!) and F&F. Regarding Duncan McKenzie, it was all my own fault for not realising I needed to check the dratted file. This is what happens when someone says to you, "Oh, didn't you know that Duncan was in Mesopotamia, not just Sinai and Palestine?!" and basically screws up your work. Not to mention that the file was at Trentham rather than the NZ Archives, grrr.

A pox on deadlines, I say!

It's the final copy of my version, Kim. If that makes sense. Next step is the proofs. However, apart from typos etc, thereis a penalty for changing more than 5% of a page. Considering it's a children's book, 5% of a page is not actually that many words...

Allie