The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st/5th West Yorkshire Regiment

Messina1915

Can anyone tell me where the 1st/5th West Yorks were on 20 February 1916?

I assume it was somewhere in the Somme sector, as the lad I am interested in who was killed on that day, 15-year-old Private Alfred Dalby, is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.

Also, can anyone tell me when Alfred is likely to have enlisted from his service number? It is 2987. The caption underneath Alfred's picture in the local newspaper suggests that he enlisted about a year before he was killed, but if anyone can confirm this, then that would be great.

Cheers,

Carole.

On Feb 12th 1916 the 146th Infantry Brigade (1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8 W Yorks) took over a new sector that ran east of Thiepval Wood G2 sub-sector and included Hamilton Avenue and Hammerhead Sap. Minenwerfer bombs were the biggest problem in this sector at that time

Many thanks for the info connaughtranger

Cheers,

Carole.

• 6 years later...
Guest Derek Barraclough

Hi, I saw the memorial for this lad today in St Mark's church Harrogate, I will try to photograph it if site will let me share photos. My wife's maiden name was Dalby, ancestors from Harrogate, Knaresborough, Eccup Leeds farmers. Are you part of this family/, unsure if Alfred is part of hers more research now needed. regards Derek Barraclough.

As the OP has not been active on the forum since Nov 2013 I've sent her a PM to alert her to this new post as new member Derek may not be able to do so due to insufficient posts.

Steve

Carole/ Derek and others

I am new to the site and have been researching and writing a book on the Harrogate Territorials of the 1/5th WY over the last 18 months or so.

I am very aware of Alfred Dalby, and his apparent age of 15 when killed, according to CWGC. In fact I think he was 16. He enlisted in Harrogate, probably in the New Year of 1915, as I am pretty certain that 2904 Fred Fairburn enlisted in the December of 1914. Alfred went into the 2/5th WY (Beechwood Boys) to be trained in Harrogate until March 1915, then to coastal defence etc with them until he disembarked in France on 13th October 1915. This was probably around his 16th birthday as I think he was born in the autumn of 1899 in Headingley. He probably then joined the 1/5th at rest at Coppernolle Hoek, then went with them into the trenches at Turco Farm at the northern end of the Ypres salient, on 24th October. He survived the phosgene attack on 19 December, then went south to the Somme in the New Year where he was killed as you know.

I am working mainly from public historical sources but would be very interested to see if family members are able to help my research, and add to what I already know. In the meantime, I hope this is all of interest to you both / all.

BTW I am going to Turco Farm next week, and possibly also Thiepval. Any information gratefully received before then.

Best wishes

HP

• 3 weeks later...

I have the medal card for our William Merrill #2207 who entered the Theatre of War (France)13 April 1915. He served in the K O Y L I until discharged with wounds 29 April 1916.

I believe he was in the Territorial before this time - His medal states he served in the Yorks. L. I (KOYLI)

I would be interested if there would be further avenues I could research to find more information. He was awarded the trio - Pip Squeak and Wilfred as well as the Silver War Badge

Wonderful Forum Many thanks