Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner Albert Boxall

Aaron Nelson

Hi all,

Have recently discovered another Great Uncle who served during the 1st World War.

We have a pic of him with cap badge. Its an artillery badge

Was the RGA cap badge different to the RFA cap badge?

His name was Albert Boxall, it appears he served prior to the war as we have a copy of a Post card sent to him in 1908 while he was stationed at Gibraltar. His unit at this time was the 55th Company RGA. That was the address on the Post card sent to him.

Enquiries have been made a number of years ago to National Archives and they stated no records were available for him as they were burned in 1940. I am wanting to check this out further and re investigate.

As he may have served earlier than the 1st world war are there any other records we can check , particularly online.

We are unsure if he survived or died in the war, I have found a A.H Boxall in CWGC as part of the RFA, This soldiers mothers name was Elizabeth as was our relatives, so that may be him but I am not sure. Problem is CWGC only gives initials, not the name Albert. Would be great if we could somwhow get that clarified from CWGC so we eliminate or confirm that soldier as been our relative.

I am wanting to unravel this mans service record and document it for the family if possible. any assistance rendered by the old pals would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Aaron.

Aaron,

From SDGW:

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Battalion etc.:

Last name: Boxall

First name(s): Albert Henry

Initials: A H

Birthplace:

Enlisted: London

Residence: Bow, E.

Number: 93073

Date died: 5 September 1918

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

He's the only Albert BOXALL listed

There is an Albert J BOXALL, gunner, 283039, Royal Garrison Artillery listed on TNA MIC's - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=21 - it looks like this one survived the war.

Hth

Grant

Another possible may be;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=23

This gunners number is for the Special Reserve, and would normally indicate a pre war time expired gunner. This mans original number in the S/R would have been 8039, and would have been given around June 1916, possibly indicating an older gunner.

Kevin

Edit; as Grant has indicated

Hi Kevrow and Grantowi.

Your assistance is much appreciated, Gunner Albert J. Boxall has caught my attention as my relatives mothers maiden name was Jefferies, I wonder what the J stands for???

Anyway I have downloaded his MIC and have these references on the Card.

He was not entiltied to the 1915 star.

The reference to the nominal rolls is Roll RGA/237B Page number 13795

Interestingly enough above bottom left hand corner of the card, above where it says ' Theatre first served in" There is another entry written stating " S.W.B. List RGA/1125" Whatever that means ???

If anyone could do me an honour of checking this out for me that would be greatly apprciated,

thanks to all for any help on this one.

regards Aaron.

Albert J BOXALL, middle name John; Silver War Badge shows him as having served with 208 Siege Battery, discharged 11-1-19 age 34. Base Details only for the roll.

Rgds Paul

Paul,

Outstanding, thanks so much for that, I'm pretty sure this confirms my man. My relatives Fathers name was John, so perhaps the J stands for his fathers name John. Anyway, thanks so much for your help. It appears there were only two Albert Boxall's in the artillery and we ahve confirmed the full name of our relatives mother which does not match up with the name of the killed artillerymans mother. Given the above info just given looks like we ahe identified him.

Thanks all so far your help. Now to research the 208th Siege battery.

cheers Aaron.

Albert J BOXALL, middle name John; Silver War Badge shows him as having served with 208 Siege Battery, discharged 11-1-19 age 34. Base Details only for the roll.

Rgds Paul

Thanks Paul, I take it by your above entry that you have actually looked up the rolls at the National archives?? If so that was extremely fast work and thank you so very much !!

best regards Aaron.