Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Megiddo (III)

michaeldr

A couple of stories to represent the action 90 years ago, on 23rd September 1918

Firstly, the capture of Haifa; see

Secondly, an action in the Jordan Valley; see

24th September 1918

Letter; Allenby to Lady Allenby

"General Headquarters,

Egyptian Expeditionary Force

Enclosed from the King is well expressed. Will you take care of it? I have also a warmly expressed wire from the War Cabinet, of which I will send you a copy. I have been out, all day, visiting hospitals and the French detachment. The French fought well and had some 150 killed and wounded - Armenians and Tirailleurs Algeriens. Prisoners still come in. We have now taken over 40,000 and some 300 guns. Telegrams of congratulation are growing upon me. I, myself, am almost aghast at the extent of the victory! I have taken Es Salt, E. of the Jordan; and, by now, my Cavalry are probably in Amman on that flank. Haifa and Acre are in my hands, and patrols are moving to Lake Tiberias.

PS: Bols motored to Haifa today and is not yet back."

[The telegram from the King, referred to as enclosed with the above

"23rd September 1918

It is with feelings of pride and admiration that we at home have received the news of the ably conceived and brilliantly carried out operations in which the British Indian and Allied forces under your command with the support of the Royal Navy have gained a complete victory over the enemy I am confident that this success which has effected the liberation of Palestine from Turkish rule will rank as a great exploit in the history of the British Empire and will stand for all time as a remarkable testimony to British leadership and to the fighting qualities of British and Indian troops."]

"General Staff Operations,

GHQ EEF

25th September 1918

SECRET

Z/96/027.B

British Officer accompanying Sherif Feisal

Communicate the following message to Sherif Feisal from Commander-in-Chief, begins:-

1. There is no objection to Your Highness entering DAMASCUS as soon as you consider that you can do so with safety.

2. I am sending troops to DAMASCUS and I hope that they will arrive there in four or five days from to-day. I trust that Your Highness' forces will be able to co-operate, but you should not relax your pressure in the DERAA district, as it is of vital importance to cut off the Turkish forces which are retreating North from MAAN, AMMAN and ES SALT.

(signed, BGGS) Bartholomew

[There is another copy of this message in the same PRO file addressed to Lt.Col Lawrence, CB, DSO, signed by Bols and 'sent by air' with the following typescript addition:

'We took SEMAKH and TIBERIAS yesterday and British Cavalry will move on DERAA from the West starting to-day if possible. General Chaytor with the Anzac Division is at AMMAN. Our troops know your movements.']"

from 'Allenby in Palestine, the middle east correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby' selected and edited by Matthew Hughes, Army Records Society/Sutton Publishing, 2004

also from about the 25th September 1918

"... ... I found that General Chaytor's camp was some distance beyond the town and close to the Hedjaz Railway Station. Seeing the divisional flag flying over his tent, I made for it, and was delighted at last to run him to earth.

I heartily congratulated him on the great vcitory he had won in such record time. In four days his troops had covered over 60 miles; he had forced his way through the hills and mountains of Moab, a most difficult country, in the face of a superior force; he had captured the two ancient cities of Es Salt and Amman, got astride of the Hedjaz railway, and had completely routed the 4th Turkish Army. He had captured altogether some 11,000 prisoners, some 60 guns, about 150 machine-guns, hundreds of tons of ammunition of all kinds, millions of rounds of small arms ammunition, large quantities of railway rolling-stock, and all kinds of other material, foodstuffs, horses, mules, transport wagons, motor lorries, etc.- altogether as brilliant a piece of work as was done in this or any other theatre of the Great War.

I would have those who pin their faith to the sword make a special note of the fact that not a single sabre or lance was carried by the mounted men. The hefty Anzac was able to do all that was wanted by the combination of man, horse, and rifle.

Of course Chaytor's Force lacked one great weapon, and that was a war correspondent to write up its deeds!"

from 'With the Judeans in the Palestine Campaign' by Lt-Col. J. H. Patterson DSO., Hutchinson & Co., 1922