Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th (Service) btn Manchesters

weltkrieg

post-38315-1222366507.jpg would be most grateful if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction to find out where the 16th (service) btn the Manchester Regiment were from around December 1915 to September 1917. My father was posted to this btn in 1915 age 16.

S

You're in luck ! There's a book out there of a Captain's story from the arrival in France of the 16MR in Nov 1915 to his ill health in Spring 1917. So you can read all about it,there are pics,digrams etc to help you along. It is mentioned in the Long Long Trail here at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/books/unprofessional.htm

In the meantime there is also a page in LLT about his movements in 90 Brigade of 30 Division,the host Groups for 16MR :

http://www.1914-1918.net/30div.htm

Sotonmate

Oh, and let us know his name, please!

Steve.

Welcome to the Forum.

Very briefly, the battalion was in the Somme sector during 1916, taking part in the main battle of the summer and early autumn. By spring 1917, they had moved to the Arras sector and, by july, to Ypres - taking part in the major offensives in both areas.

There are a couple of books that you may be interested. Michael Stedman's "Manchester Pals" is widely available at good bookshops. The official Battalion history is one of 4 published in a single volume by Naval & Military Press - click here for details. The two together should give you a pretty good account of your father's time with them.

John

S

You're in luck ! There's a book out there of a Captain's story from the arrival in France of the 16MR in Nov 1915 to his ill health in Spring 1917. So you can read all about it,there are pics,digrams etc to help you along. It is mentioned in the Long Long Trail here at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/books/unprofessional.htm

In the meantime there is also a page in LLT about his movements in 90 Brigade of 30 Division,the host Groups for 16MR :

http://www.1914-1918.net/30div.htm

Sotonmate

Dear Sotonmate, very many thanks for your input, will be following this up. best wishes

chris

You could also have a look at the Manchesters site at:

http://themanchesters.org/

Many thanks your reply, have looked at this Manchester's site but always seem to have problems logging in there, will of course try again. best wishes

Chris

Oh, and let us know his name, please!

Steve.

Thanks for your interest, he was 7565 Pte Herbert Boyd.

regards

Chris

Welcome to the Forum.

Very briefly, the battalion was in the Somme sector during 1916, taking part in the main battle of the summer and early autumn. By spring 1917, they had moved to the Arras sector and, by july, to Ypres - taking part in the major offensives in both areas.

There are a couple of books that you may be interested. Michael Stedman's "Manchester Pals" is widely available at good bookshops. The official Battalion history is one of 4 published in a single volume by Naval & Military Press - click here for details. The two together should give you a pretty good account of your father's time with them.

John

Thanks John for the useful info which I will follow up. Will also be looking at the sites you list as I lived in Stockport for about 13 years and once worked in Cheadle. Best wishes

Chris

pte 7565 herbert boyd.

16th manchesters.

enlisted 26-3-1915

gave his age as,20yrs.2mths

born,1898

resided 27 owen st,lower broughton[father john]

religion,RC

occupation,printer.

26-3-15,attested+posted to the 16th batt

30-8-15,posted to 25th res batt

24-11-15,put on a charge,by cpl pickstock,for not complying with an order,given 7 days confined to barracks,by capt cunliffe.

23-12-15,disembarked in france.

6-7-16,admitted to lord derby war hospital,warrington

granted convalescent leave,from 29-7-16 till 7-8-16,spent his leave at 24 queens st,broughton.

1-9-16,posted to 69th training batt

19-9-17,returned to france

24-9-17,posted to 21st batt

19-1-19,sent to italy[21st batt]

now residing at 24 ellor st,salford.

28-2-19,posted to the depot

4-6-19,posted to 2nd batt

23-6-19,appointed paid lance corporal.

7-8-1919,married miss florence fletcher,at st.boniface church,broughton,and resided at 127 meadow st,hough lane,lower broughton.

january 1920,appointed acting/cpl

21-1-1920,posted to 1st batt as acting/cpl

11-2-1920,discharged as no longer fit,for further service.

23-4-1920,awarded a kings certificate[No63/3438]

mack

• 1 year later...

First of all let me thank you and all others for their replies and information on this topic, all the info was very much appreciated. Now my apologies for taking so long to reply but my wife died two days after the last post and this was followed during the next year by two more personal tradgedies. Hence I did not get back into any research until now. Gratefully yours, Signaller51

pte 7565 herbert boyd.

16th manchesters.

enlisted 26-3-1915

gave his age as,20yrs.2mths

born,1898

resided 27 owen st,lower broughton[father john]

religion,RC

occupation,printer.

26-3-15,attested+posted to the 16th batt

30-8-15,posted to 25th res batt

24-11-15,put on a charge,by cpl pickstock,for not complying with an order,given 7 days confined to barracks,by capt cunliffe.

23-12-15,disembarked in france.

6-7-16,admitted to lord derby war hospital,warrington

granted convalescent leave,from 29-7-16 till 7-8-16,spent his leave at 24 queens st,broughton.

1-9-16,posted to 69th training batt

19-9-17,returned to france

24-9-17,posted to 21st batt

19-1-19,sent to italy[21st batt]

now residing at 24 ellor st,salford.

28-2-19,posted to the depot

4-6-19,posted to 2nd batt

23-6-19,appointed paid lance corporal.

7-8-1919,married miss florence fletcher,at st.boniface church,broughton,and resided at 127 meadow st,hough lane,lower broughton.

january 1920,appointed acting/cpl

21-1-1920,posted to 1st batt as acting/cpl

11-2-1920,discharged as no longer fit,for further service.

23-4-1920,awarded a kings certificate[No63/3438]

mack

In case I missed anyone in my last post, particularly Lieut-Colonel for the in depth information that has triggered more research, here is what I said:First of all let me thank you and all others for their replies and information on this topic, all the info was very much appreciated. Now my apologies for taking so long to reply but my wife died two days after the last post and this was followed during the next year by two more personal tradgedies. Hence I did not get back into any research until now. Gratefully yours, Signaller51