Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification Please

Guest heywyre

Guest heywyre

What a chore! Not only did my husband find out he was adopted when he was 55 years old but now I have to find information about a family with the name GREEN - give me a break!

Anyway, here goes. On his grandfather's marriage certificate in February 1920 it reads "Lt. Bombardier RFA"

I know absolutely nothing about UK Military (I live in Canada) and my own father served in England/France/Germany/Italy/Belgium but with the Canadian Armed Forces. Searching archives in England is impossible (at least at this point)

I had two different people tell me two different translations:

1. one said the RAF used to be called the RFA in WW1 and therefore he was a Lieutenant ??

2. the second one said there was no such designation and it was most likely Lance Bombardier with the Royal Field Artillery

Please - does anyone have a clue as to what it really is so I can at least start somewhere - any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome, heywyre. Most certainly a bombardier in the Royal Artillery.

Don't worry; there are many far more knowledgable Pals here than me who will steer you in the right direction.

What part of Canada are you in?

Peter in Vancouver

Guest heywyre

Thanks for your quick response - at least I have something to go on now.

I am on the same side of the country as you are - BC - I live in Kelowna

It is possible that the abbreviation Lt. could mean 'late' giving Late Bomabrdier RFA meaning that he had just left the service as a Bombardier.

Dave

now I have to find information about a family with the name GREEN - give me a break!

Welcome to the club !!

I've got GREEN and WRIGHT both a real pain.

Stu

Guest heywyre

Yes, not only do I have Green to research on my husband's side, I have Adams to research on mine.

*Sigh* to have been fortunate enough to been born with an unusual name