Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

March 1st 1915

Dragon

Rather than take up space on this Forum, I’ve uploaded on to my website a couple of cuttings from March 1st 1915.

My Webpage

If you click on the daffodil it will take you to them. (For non UK visitors, a daffodil - yellow flower, which I have attempted to draw for the button & avatar - is one of the symbols for St David's Day. St David is the patron saint of Wales and his day is March 1st.)

They are taken from the scrapbook which we discovered in my husband's grandfather's garage.

I am interested to know whether it really was possible for photos (and accompanying text) of the same day's events to be printed in what I assume was an evening newspaper.

Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus!

Gwyn

I am interested to know whether it really was possible for photos (and accompanying text) of the same day's events to be printed in what I assume was an evening newspaper.

Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus!

I am asking a serious question, actually. How immediate could the news reports be if they involved photographs? Were the photos staged in advance, such as the soldier wearing the leek or the women in costume fundraising supposedly that very day?

Gwyneth

Gwyn

I don't see any problem with a photo being taken, say, during the morning and being printed in the evening paper. Always assuming it was fairly local.

So, in the case, of the photo of the women in costume in London, there would be no problem in it being printed in, a London evening paper. The further away from the location of the photo, the more time is taken as it would have been necessary to physical transport the photo by train.

I don't know much about WW1 railway timetabling (OK - I know nothing about WW1 railway timetabling). But there was a fairly efficient service run in those days with a fair speed on "inter city" journies. I'm pretty sure that a photo taken in London during the early morning may well have made the last editions of, say, the Manchester Evening News. Certainly, in those days, the Evening News would have started printing early and been available, as it is now, around lunchtime, but would have not finished its last edition until early evening.

John