Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Lancashire Fusiliers - 1914

Rodge Dowson

Neil and I are now working on a new book project to cover the story of the 2nd Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers with the B.E.F. in 1914 in detail.

As this was a regular army battalion where recruits came from all over we are looking to find any 1914 casualty listings on local War Memorials.

So, if you are researching your local memorial and have discovered men from the 2nd L F who died or were killed in 1914 then please would you let us know.

We also may include some photos in the book of these Memorials.

Local newspaper entries for the same and any obituaries with photos of these soldiers are also welcomed.

Many thanks - Rodge Dowson & Neil Drum

My web site Prescot Roll of Honour includes the details of Pte 9439 William Rooney of the 2nd Bn., who fell on 26/08/1914.

If you can PM me your email address, I'll send over some pictures of the memorials. I have not as yet found a picture of Pte. Rooney.

Hi Chaps

John George Britton is commemorated on the Fulford War Memorial. There is a photo on my York website. If you want a better quality copy semd me a pm with your email address.

Regards

Steve

Thanks very much for the information Steve and Steven.......Regards RD

Rodge & Neil

The following Stockport area casualties on my website:

DALZIEL D (DALZIL)

BROWN John Herbert Lees

TAYLOR Edward

BRIGGS James

SEXTON Charles Emery

KITCHEN William

LEE Frederick

MANNION John

STREET James

CORNERS B (Robert Henry)

BARRATT Thomas Herbert

COOPER William

Feel free to blag as you wish. Fred Lee (26/8/14) may be a tasty one for you - first of three brothers to be killed. I don't have the actual obituaries, if there were any, but they'll be at Stockport Local Heritage Library.

John

Rodge

Here are 30 names from the Roll of Honour [13,000+] within Liverpool Town Hall. This was created, we think, largely from submissions by relatives, but there is no surviving evidence of the method. There are at least as many LF men named whose battalion is not stated. The only info given on the panels is surname, rank, initials and unit. My list is from a recent transcription which has yet to be verified, and probably has at least 10% errors.

Nevertheless, this may be useful to you for starters.

All are Privates unless stated otherwise:

Arrowsmith, F.

Bann L/Cpl EJ

Bennett, W

Benson P

Bray J

Byrne JJ

Dacre WS

Daley J

Dunbairn T

Dunbavin T [suspect duplication of these two]

Evans, Sgt GA

Gasby T

Gilley L/Cpl F

Gosling E

Holden G

Hornby W

Kenion Lt HC

Kinsman L/Cpl J

Langshaw TR

Marshall T

Massey W

Massey Sgt HH

McCarthy A

Moon F

Moran F

Staunton T

Walker J

Ward R

Ward WE

Wrench A

There is also a Dunn R, shown as 6/2 Batt - I have not checked him out but think him more likely to be 2/6th.

Good luck

Daggers EDIT - sorry I do not have dates and may have jumped the gun. I'll try to look them up...

Only two of my long list show up as 1914 casualties:

Massey, Pte W, 9456, aged 29, 26/8/14.

Walker, Pte Joseph, 1948, 14/9/1914.

There is a fairly even spread between war years for those of the list I could track down.

D

There is a fairly even spread between war years for those of the list I could track down.

D

Thank You Daggers - from Neil & Me

Rodge & Neil

The following Stockport area casualties on my website:

DALZIEL D (DALZIL)

BROWN John Herbert Lees

TAYLOR Edward

BRIGGS James

SEXTON Charles Emery

KITCHEN William

LEE Frederick

MANNION John

STREET James

CORNERS B (Robert Henry)

BARRATT Thomas Herbert

COOPER William

Feel free to blag as you wish. Fred Lee (26/8/14) may be a tasty one for you - first of three brothers to be killed. I don't have the actual obituaries, if there were any, but they'll be at Stockport Local Heritage Library.

John

Hi John, many thanks for that from Neil & Me - we have had this one on the back burner with other projects for a good while but now have decided to get stuck into moving it on. Rodge

• 1 month later...
Neil and I are now working on a new book project to cover the story of the 2nd Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers with the B.E.F. in 1914 in detail.

As this was a regular army battalion where recruits came from all over we are looking to find any 1914 casualty listings on local War Memorials.

So, if you are researching your local memorial and have discovered men from the 2nd L F who died or were killed in 1914 then please would you let us know.

We also may include some photos in the book of these Memorials.

Local newspaper entries for the same and any obituaries with photos of these soldiers are also welcomed.

Many thanks - Rodge Dowson & Neil Drum

Just to update that we are well on with this title now, ''Contemptible Fusiliers' - Neil is completing a highly detailed unit A- Z Appendix for the book.

Thanks Rodge

Hi

On Walsall War Memorial

John Thomas MALE, Private 627

Hezekial WALKER Private 340

Regards,

Graeme

Thank You for this information, Graeme

D

Many thanks Daggers