The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anyone like to give an opinion?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Anyone care to give an opinion on this MIC. I understand that he served with the Depot Unit of Supply, ASC in 1914, landing in France on the 26 August 1914. He is later commissioned into the 2nd Y& L Regt.

What else can you see? Is the date of Discharge when he left the army or when he was discharged from O/R service to a commission?

He is listed in a Roll of Honour as being wounded. Sadly it does not give futher details.

Thanks for looking

Stewart

post-3488-1222257982.jpg

Date of Commission as per London Gazette #29380 (25th November 1915) is given as 7th November 1915

The undermentioned Non-commissioned Officers and Men from The London Regiment, Territorial Force, unless otherwise

stated, to be temporary Second Lieutenants.

Dated 7th November, 1915 : —

The York and Lancaster Regiment.

Private G. Butland.

Private R. Rowbotham, from The Army Service Corps.

Serjeant W. H. Vine, from the Corps of Royal Engineers.

Link to Gazette is Here

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thank you very much for the LG entry. I did try a search once, but could not find anything obvious! It does look as if Lieut. Rowbotham was discharged from the army in November 1916! I wonder what happened to him?

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

I can't find another entry for him in the London Gazette so can't confirm what happened to him, there should be a promotion to Lieutenant in there somewhere but I can't find it.

As for the date being his discharge from the army I would be a little wary of that, both Gazette and MIC show date of 7th November but a year apart, coincidence? or the MIC could be wrong? I'm inclined towards it being an incorrect Discharge to Commission date.

Regards

Steve

Hello Chris and Steve,

I think you must both be correct, the date has been entered incorrectly. I will let you know if anything else turns up.

Regards,

Stewart

I think it is a 2/.

The 7 on the middle right is in the same pen/hand and completely different.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Thank you very much for the LG entry. I did try a search once, but could not find anything obvious! It does look as if Lieut. Rowbotham was discharged from the army in November 1916! I wonder what happened to him?

Regards,

Stewart

Looking at his ASC details he was obviously already serving on outbreak of war. Perhaps disch 1916 was the end of his original term of service? Thereafter he was rejoined and was commissioned in the L&Y?

Ian

Hallo all,

He attended Dulwich college. his name appears in there Service Roll and it confirms 2nd Battalion Y & L. It is also from this that we learn he was wounded.

Regards,

Stewart