The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Herbert Wood (late Royal Flying Corp)

timberwood

Bit of a long shot, I have a photo of my Grand Father, in it he wears a side cap with R.F.C badge, also the same on collar dogs with Lieutenant pips on his shoulder, Pilot Brevet on Left breast. But cannot find anything else about him anywhere.

My late Father told me as a young Boy that he flew in Sopwith Camel and Pup Squadrons. Would anyone be able to tell me anything about Lieutenant Herbert Wood, born around 1896?? Resided Leyland Lancs, Married my Grand Mother Amy Parker in 1919. It might help if I start with his Parent Regiment if anyone would know.

Desperate for help on this one, very grey area I'm affraid as I have no surviving relatives from my Fathers side.

Many Thanks Geoff

post-9878-1222239643.jpg

His RAF service record should be in AIR 76 (on microfilm at Kew); his army/ RFC record will be a standard army search.

Geoff

There are 20 Officers with the name WOOD and single initial H in the service records WO339 at Kew. There are another 9 with the name WOOD and first initial H and with one or more second initials !

AIR 76 can only be interrogated at Kew as it is a microfilm.

If you don't get any result from this microfilm by Oct 5th send me a PM and I will look for you on my next visit.

Sotonmate

Geoff,

Any other first names you can provide? I'm sure we can find this chap!

Regards,

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I have a copy of his Marriage certificate and it only states Herbert, no other initials nor did I know he had a middle name, not that I'm aware of???

Cheers Geoff

Geoff

There are 20 Officers with the name WOOD and single initial H in the service records WO339 at Kew. There are another 9 with the name WOOD and first initial H and with one or more second initials !

If you don't get any result from this microfilm by Oct 5th send me a PM and I will look for you on my next visit.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for your reply,

I would be very grateful if you could come up with something for me. I only know his name was Herbert from what is written on his Marriage certificate, no other name was entered??

:D I will be in contact with you, please let me know how much it would be for you trouble at Kew??

Kindest Geoff

Hi Geoff

I signed up to Ancestry for a free two week trial and found lots of records from the Royal Aero Club of when men passed their flying certificates, there may be something in there for your grandfather. Getting the two week free trial is very easy and as long as you cancel before the 14 days are up (like I did) there is no cost. If you decide to do this let me know and I will give you details of how to find the records on the Ancestry site.

Regards

IanC

Hi Geoff

I signed up to Ancestry for a free two week trial and found lots of records from the Royal Aero Club of when men passed their flying certificates, there may be something in there for your grandfather. Getting the two week free trial is very easy and as long as you cancel before the 14 days are up (like I did) there is no cost. If you decide to do this let me know and I will give you details of how to find the records on the Ancestry site.

Regards

IanC

Hi Ian,

now that does sound interesting, I will do as you say mate and sign up. Please send me the details of how to look up the records. Many thanks Ian

Regards

Geoff

I understand that records can also be requested using the National Archives shop online facility.

Hi Geoff

The easiest way is to search for a known pilot who's records from the Royal Aero Club are definately there. So on the search page if you enter the name Gerald Featherstone (Christian names) Knight (Surname) it will bring up all records for that name, the first one should be his RAC entry, go into this and look at the record card, (not the photo). If you then look above the image of the card, you should see the words Royal Aero Club, (or similar), click on this and it will take you to a page where you can then enter different details, (ie your granddads name) and search for him. Hope this will be clear when you look at the pages and hope he is there.

If you look at a topic in this section called Photos of Pilots you will see some examples of stuff I was able to look up for people.

Good Luck

IanC