Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Messines Mines

towisuk

If I may correct you, geology is a science; and it was the ability of the British to successfully combat the geological controls that won the battle of Messines.

Didn't mean to cause offence, but at my Grammar School c. 1950, the Science stream studied Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology, and 't'others' did the arts, geography and geology .... so the past caught up with me.

Question is, I have your book and enjoyed it, what about my article?

Did one of the Messines Mines fail to explode, then blow up in the 1950's when lightening hit a telegraph pole thus detonating it? I think it was a Messine Mine. Also am I right in thinking there are still 3 unaccounted for mines, 2 without detonators so reasonably safe, and one with a detonator which has the potential to go up when triggered?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

See link to past topic on the forum Stuart.........................

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=birdcage+mines

regards

Tom

Hi, for those who are interested, there is a short 4min video on Petit Bois, it was filmed by Johan Vandewalle and Peter Barton in 1998...The video can be found at www.polygonwood.com in the section marked video files..it may take a couple of minutes to load, but once loaded its a great visual.

Great link, Digger. Thanks.

I knew the site, but never had bothered to see the videos!

Roel

Here's another extract about the result of a British mine that had been blown, unfortunately I am unable to locate the position of the mine crater on my trench maps. I don't recognise the map location given in the text of the report, i.e. B.543127, do any of the forum pals recognise this method of identifying the location on a trench map and can help?

regards

Tom

post-5284-1222877517.jpg

Or how about this, looking at the date I think this could be one of the messines mines........

Tom

post-5284-1222878168.jpg

Ooops! replying to my own post...just realised, far to little explosive in this one to be one of the Messines mines, only 5,000lb of ammonal.......

regards

Tom