Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Poets Buried in Flanders?

kerry

Dear All,

I'm visiting the Salient 4-9 Mar 04 and would like to know if there are any WW1 poets in CWGs in the Flanders area. Grateful for any information. Thanks.

Kerry

kerry.hutchinson@psd.defra.gsi.gov.uk

Anne Powell's A Deep Cry (by the author c.1990s) will supply you with all the information you need. It is widely available, especially from people like Ray Westlake etc.

The CWGC issue two (free) factsheets about Great War poets in their care.If you happen to be in Ieper, you can pick up copies from their office there. The Holt's Map to the salient also mentions the locations of "notable" graves, including poets.

Anyway, Here are the Salient poets according to the CWGC:

Pte. Ellis Humphrey EVANS ("Hedd Wyn" - "the Black Bard") 15/RWF, Artillery Wood Cem, Boesinge.

2/Lt. Gerald William GRENFELL 8/RB, Menin Gate.

L/Cpl.F.E.LEDWIDGE 1/RIF, Artillery Wood, Boesinge.

Lt.Walter Scott Stuart LYON 9/Royal Scots, Menin Gate.

also (not too far away)

Lt.Thomas Ernest HULME RMA, Coxyde Cem.

Dave.

The CWGC issue two (free) factsheets about Great War poets in their care.If you happen to be in Ieper, you can pick up copies from their office there.

You can download their Poets booklet from their website. Scroll to near the bottom of this page: http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/publications.htm

Gwyn

Pte. Ellis Humphrey EVANS ("Hedd Wyn" - "the Black Bard")

If you haven’t seen it, I recommend the 1992 film Hedd Wyn, about Ellis Evans’ life near Trawsfynydd and eventual death on Pilkem Ridge. It’s powerful and moving, with effective photography. It is sub-titled in English.

I am puzzled at the description ‘Black Bard’. Ellis Evans’ bardic name (the one he chose for his poetry writing) was Hedd Wyn, which means White Peace. (heddwch = peace, gwyn = white, the g palatalised / soft-mutated to wyn in lenition).

The Chair he won posthumously at the Birkenhead Eisteddfod for his awdl, Yr Arwr, was draped in black to signify that he had been killed in action. I can see a black connection thus, but not as a translation of his bardic name.

Gwyn

I have a photo of Artillery Wood Cemy along with a shot of Francis Lewidge memorial nearby....

John

I've been fortunate enough to go to Trawsfynydd and Hedd Wyn's farm which is called 'Yr Ysgwrn' and talked to his last remaining relative which is his nephew. If anyone's ever in North Wales Hedd Wyn's farm is worth a visit, his nephew is happy to see anyone come and visit and will show you the chairs Hedd Wyn had won in local competitions and the chair from the eisteddfod in Birkenhead (Y cadair Ddu.)

His nephew told me of the film and it's flaws in Hedd wyn's normal life, but as a whole the film is very good and deserves to be seen. Some people call the chair that Hedd Wyn won at the eisteddfod in Birkenhead Y cadair ddu which is black chair, therefore to connect Hedd Wyn with the chair he is called the Black bard.

From,

Thomas McCall.

Many thanks indeed for all of these helpful responses. i have dropped down the CWG leaflet as suggested. Thanks again.

Kerry

Flanders area is a good place to visit, our school took us there, it was cool! we also went to see the hill62 trenches and the cot war cenetery there might be some poets buried there...

Helen McPhail & Phillip Guest? have a book on this same series as Salient Points etc by Smith & Spagnoly I think.

Been sick for a few days, this is an error, it's on poets in Picardy.

Some people call the chair that Hedd Wyn won at the eisteddfod in Birkenhead Y cadair ddu which is black chair, therefore to connect Hedd Wyn with the chair he is called the Black bard.

Thank you for explaining, Thomas. I hadn't heard that particular expression, Black Bard, applied to Hedd Wyn before, though I knew about Y cadair ddu.

I haven't yet been to a National Eisteddfod, but I imagine that the award ceremony on that occasion must have been profoundly moving. I envy your visit to Trawsfynydd to meet Ellis Evans' nephew. The farm is called...?

Gwyn :)

Although not strictly Flanders, Lt Col John McCrae who wrote "In Flanders Fields...." is buried at Wimereux Communal Cemetery which is only a short distance from Calais.

Tim

There's an account of "Hedd Wyn" on the South Wales Branch website of The Western Front Association.

www.powell76.freeserve.co.uk

Hedd Wyn's farm is called Yr Ysgwrn and is about a mile or two from Trawsfynydd.

From,

Thomas McCall

Pardon my ignorance but what are "shuckys"?

Simon Bull

Simon shucky beans were made by pioneers before they could can food. The entire green string bean, not just the bean itself, is dried then later soaked all day to rehydrate them, then cooked all day with big hunk of pork fat and are wonderful. Only one person I know has ever had them and said they are bad AND THAT'S THE COMMIE PIG ANDY! ;)

We have been going at this one for quite q while.