Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artllery Shell Nose Cone

richardp@comsine.co.uk

Hi all

I have just made a trip to France with my father to visit various places where his father fought. One of the places we went to was Givenchy where my grandfather fought in May 1915. As we leaving a very pleasant French guy asked if we wanted any souvenirs and gave us a brass nose cone to an artillery shell. It is just the cone - i.e. conical layered object about 2 inches high with a screw thread around its base (~2" diameter), but seems intact. Although we accepted it as it was just a nose cone, we have been treating it with great care as I wanted to ask if nose cones are safe or do they need de-arming in any way, i.e. do they contain any charge or explosive? If the latter, then I will need to hand it over to the Police or Bomb Squad I guess.

If it is safe, then I will take a photo of it and post it as it would be good to know what type of shall it was from. If it's not safe, then I won't be keeping it!

Thanks

Richard

Discussed many times before, Richard. You'll find all sorts of photos and descriptions here but the general advice is - yes, they can contain enough to do you considerable damage.

Thanks for the two responses. Yes, it does look like the photo and OK, and I need to get rid of it I guess (in a safe manner)!

Richard

Thanks for the two responses. Yes, it does look like the photo and OK, and I need to get rid of it I guess (in a safe manner)!

Richard

Hello, Richard - Can you post a photo of it before you get rid of it? A photo might show if it has been detonated, and if it has, it is a completely safe souvenir. Regards, Torrey

Hi Richard .

If it looks like the photo shown by Gunner then you are ok, but if it has a short tube or barrel at the base its called a GAINE, and is dangerous, but I cannot see a farmer giving it to you knowing it to be dangerous. You can buy shell fuzes like the one shown at the various museums in the locality for a few euros.But as mentioned be very weary on what you see and touch the fields.I have several like the one that Gunner has shown in his photo,its amazing how the paint lasts on these fuzes not like the cheap stuff from the big D.I.Y. stores.

Best regards Andy

Hi

I'm with the Coastguard up in Cumbria and we did a scour of the beach near Ravenglass a few years ago because lots of ordance was being uncovered by the tides.

There were plenty of military ranges and ordance depots around here. We found solid shot anti-tank, Morter bombs and I found a nose cone embedded into rocks. It was prised out and was all placed to one side and EOD was called. I was told the nose cone was still live and it was blown up with the rest of the stuff.

The only bits that survived were the anti-tank rounds which a few of us took home. The date was still visible on one of the morter bombs we found which was 1942. I do have a photo of it somewhere. Even now the odd thing is still uncovered but it's mostly WW11.

HF V.C.

Hi Richard .

Did you send Gunner a photograph of the fuze that you have? and what did he have to say about it?

Best regards Andy

Andy

Yes Richard did send me a photo and it was clearly a fuze that had been fired. The base of the fuze had the broken remains of the mounting ring on it and the gaine had clearly been removed in the explosion. It was a type 100 or 101 British fuse.

A nice paper weight.

Gunner Bailey

• 15 years later...

Hi, as a newcomer to this site, I have just seen this discussion about a shell cone. I have recently acquired one of these in a 'job lot' of items. No paintwork, all shiny brass with a copper tip. It is dated 1916, has a WD arrow and a number which looks like 1094 on part of the rim. It has been battered about a bit and seems to have some mud inside so I thought it to be safe but now, I wonder. The photo shows the interior and any comments / advice will be appreciated.

image.jpeg.844619150a4de9af0a84c2ab51383505.jpeg

Many thanks

Chris

Looks like the underside of a No.80 (or possibly No.85) time and percussion fuze - mostly used with 13 and 18 Pounder shrapnel shells. More pictures would help.

It is a No.85 that long ago functioned as designed - the bottom plate of the adapter has been blown off and the fuze base plug blown out.

Thank you for the replies. It seems as though it is safe from observation made by 14276265 - so all good there. The following is a picture of the item as it stands - does this help?

Best regards,

image.jpeg.753a067e921390bdc64e8ecac182e3c6.jpeg

It's a No. 85 Time & Percussion Fuze used on 18-pdr shrapnel shells, in particular. It was supplied by the US and was equivalent to the British No. 80 fuze which looked, superficially, similar 

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

No.85 mk II and No.80 mk VII

Left hand fuze is an 83.

I should have known that… it’s screwed into an 60pdr cone

Edited by jay dubaya

Thank you one and all for your comments/replies to my query.

Greatly appreciated.