The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Arthur Lloyd 179th Tunnelers.

Les Woodbridge

Hi,

It's a while since I last posted on here, but I am hoping to visit Theipval in October and would also like to visit my Great Grandfathers final resting place, which I now know to be the Glory Hole.

I have been in contact with Simon Jones on this subject some time ago, but wonder if I could get more specific information. I would ideally like to stand above where he lies, and wondered if anyone has any detailed accounts of the mapping of the tunnels. The details that I have seem to point to him being killed in a tunnel labeled C13, does this sound correct and does anyone know how I could transfer this information to a map where I could locate a more accurate position.

Sorry it all sounds a bit silly now, but I had heard it was going to be built on so this maybe the only opportunity I will get to do this, if I'm not already too late.

He was William Arthur Lloyd 179th Tunnelers Died 19.12. 1915.

Hoping someone can help me.

Many Thanks. Les Woodbridge.

Les

It is difficult to match the 1/500 mining plans with the 1/10,000 trench maps and the modern aerial photos but I make it about here.

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1222013674.jpg

Thankyou for your quick response. We have looked on the map and think we will be able to find it. We have been around that area a few times before but didn't realize that he was there. We have visited Lochnagar about three times.

Do you know if there is anywhere else that might be of interest to us in that area?

After my last visit I sent details of William Arthur to be posted on the database in the Theipval museum and want to go and access it.

Thanks again. Les.

Hi Les, I think Simon has it as close as your going to get. Great piece of work Simon, I agree the 1/500's can be difficult to scale to the trench maps. I've not yet tested linesman over the Glory Hole.

Good luck Les and may he "Rest in Peace".

Regards

John

Oh I don't know whether it's possible or not, it seems like it's only waste land, does anyone else know?

We'll gave a go and see if we get thrown off, if it's possible to get to it at all.

Thanks for all the responses, anyone know of other places of interest nearby?

The Glory hole is right next to the road so even standing there you can see well into it. I would not suggest crossing the fence and walking around the area without permission.

Regards

John

There were relevant posts on a thread started by Paul Reed when a building started on the site. The memainder of the site was saved - if you look up the old thread you will probably find some local contacts. There is I think no routine access, but special arrangements might be possible.

keith