The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charles Frederick Ward, East Lancashire Regt

high wood

This photograph, despite having the family name and wedding details on the back, is not attributable to a particular regiment as there is no cap badge present and the shoulder title is barely visible. I therefore had to fork out for the wedding certificate which revealed that Charles Frederick Ward served with the East Lancashire Regiment. He residence at the time of his marriage was Laira or Laura Camp so he was probably with either the 3rd or the 10th reserve battalions.

However, I am unable to find a medal index card for a Charles F Ward, East Lancashire Regiment.

post-6480-1222006864.jpg

post-6480-1222006907.jpg

post-6480-1222006956.jpg

Mark,

many thanks for the MIC. Charles Ward is certainly a possibility, he survived the Great War. It would be interesting to know when the North Staffordshire Regiment issued the service number 43743. If it was before 10th March 1917, this Charles Ward cannot be our man as the marriage certificate says that he was with the East Lancs on that date.

He is wearing a wound stripe in the photograph so it is possible that he returned to England after being wounded, was transferred to a reserve battalion and then transferred again to the North Staffs.

Simon.

Hi,

I have found the following numbers issued on service records

North Staffordshire Regiment

no. 40730 on 1 Sept 1917

no. 49434 on 11 Nov 1917

Regards Mark

North Staffordshire Regiment

no. 40730 on 1 Sept 1917

no. 49434 on 11 Nov 1917

Mark,

the dates that you have found certainly make him a strong possibility as he could easily have transferred to the North Staffs in September or October 1917, over six months after his marriage.

Simon.