The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need help identifying marks on German 77mm FK16

Guest maraplan

I have been asked by the local historical society to identify details of a trophy cannon they are intending to restore. I believe it is a 77mm FK16, though I have only seen pictures and not measured the bore. I was asked about markings on the piece, concerning which I have attached 2 images. One marking consists of the initial L.A.R. and the date 1918. This appears to be on the breech. The second marking is OWA but I am not certain of its location. Can anyone tell me what these marks mean?

post-38177-1221973365.jpg

post-38177-1221973401.jpg

"Books";

There are (from memory) a couple of American brothers who collect artillery, must have about 20 pieces, including, I believe, a 77 mm field gun. Recently a pal posted a link to their web-site. I am sure they would be a good contact. I once tried to contact them and got a response.

Bob Lembke

Hello,

I beleive the markings are 'Manufacturers' marks, i have a picture of a 77mm FK16 from Quebec. It has the date 1916 in the same position below the Breech.

Hope this helps.

post-38257-1222114593.jpg

There are (from memory) a couple of American brothers who collect artillery, must have about 20 pieces, including, I believe, a 77 mm field gun. Recently a pal posted a link to their web-site. I am sure they would be a good contact. I once tried to contact them and got a response.

Lovett Artillery Collection

• 1 month later...

Would any reader on this topic please pass on, to an approriate person, the following I posted mon GWF yesterday please:

Quote:

This item came to me from my deceased first cousin once removed, whose father (that he never knew) Major Charles Sydney Smith MC was a Machine Gun Corps officer. However I do not know for certain that it came from his father's belongings.

When I first saw it I felt that it had to be a firing pin protector, as the top is spring loaded. But how did it fit a breech, if that is what it is, and for what gun?

The cone is hollow, and exactly 1.5 inches diamenter at the base. The cone is stamped with a large "1" partially overlaid on a small "2".

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

and further quote:

No reply to this topic so far...pehaps not surprising.

I may have found out the answer myself from a P.S. in correspondence of June 7 1916..................see below...........".........a paper weight..........made from the safety catch of a Hun Field Gun................"

I dont know for certain that this item is the same, but it seems like a good answer to me.............does anyone have any ideas or explanations?

Thanks

Nigel

post-10630-1226310320.jpg