The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

W E METCALFE 12/11136 Northumberland Fusiliers

Guest brushbroomstick

Guest brushbroomstick

I have been trying to trace my uncle William Emmerson Metcalfe for a long time with no luck as I thought he was in the DLI. To cut a long story short I have recently been able to buy his 4 WW1 medals including the Military Medal and 1915 Star. I don't know how these managed to be put up for sale but my uncle died about 1978 and his only surviving son about 1994.

His Medal Card states "Date of Desertion 1.4.1917" and a note "Forfeited . Deserted". This has been deleted and he was awarded the MM ( noted in London Gazette 4.2.1918).

There was a lot of movement on the "day of Desertion" according to the Regimental diaries but no mention of deserters , either on that day or for the rest of that month.

I would love to know the story behind this but have been unnable to trace his Service Record - presumably destroyed in WW2.

Can anyone suggest a senario for this "desertion"

Irene

Have you got the citation for his MM ? It might have some detail to contribute. Then there is the question of a second person with a similar name who might have done the bunk (unlikely but who knows !) and the record mixed up. The original Medal Rolls (at Kew in the WO329 series) may say something additional too.

Sotonmate

Guest brushbroomstick

There is no citation for his MM as was often the case with the ranks . I have his medal card but have been unable to get his Service Record . I have noticed when looking through the list of Medal Cards on Ancestry that there were a few other Metcalfes in the Northumberland Fusiliers so your suggestion of a mix up of names is quite possible. i had not thought of that.

Thanks

Irene