The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Maggs Surrey Yeomanry 1916

high wood

Another message that needs unravelling. Sgt Maggs (sitting) Surrey Yeomanry 1916. Killed in Action 1918.

Photograph taken at a studio at Tonbridge in Kent. Both men in the photograph are wearing M.P.'s armbands. I cannot find any confirmation that a Sergeant Maggs was killed in 1918 or that he served in the Surrey Yeomanry.

I have found a William Charles Maggs, M.M., 15th Hampshire Regt who DoW Home in September 1918 but cannot establish a connection.

Does anyone have any ideas?

post-6480-1221904917.jpg

post-6480-1221904963.jpg

I have found a William Charles Maggs, M.M., 15th Hampshire Regt who DoW Home in September 1918 but cannot establish a connection.

Based on his service number, 15301 Sgt William Charles Maggs, 15th Hants is unlikely to be your man. 15301 gives an enlistment date to the Hampshire Regiment of circa mid January 1915 which does not tie up with the Surrey Yeomanry 1916 reference.

Marc

He is from Haslemere. Would it not be possible that the 15th Hants man was previously in the Surrey Yeomanry and that the photo writer is out of date/inaccurate with his labelling ?

Sotonmate

15301 Sgt William Charles Maggs, 15th Btn Hampshire Regiment is the only Sergeant Maggs listed as dying in 1918. However, dying of wounds at home and being killed in action are very different things. I have not seen SDGW for the Hampshire Regt but Sgt Maggs's entry should give details of service with other regiments.

Simon.

COULD HE BE 2ND LIEUT. ERIC WILLIAM BRISTOWE MAGGS WHO WAS COMMISSIONED ON 30 JANUARY 1918 AND WAS KILLED ON 20 AUGUST 1918. AGED 23.

MAY NOT HAVE SERVED OVERSEAS WITH SURREY UNIT

Eric William Bristiowe Maggs has already been discussed in great detail on this Forum. If you have not already done so it is worth reading the thread in the Classic section 'This KRRC Officer saved my father's life'.

I have not compared the photos closely but I do not believe they are the same man.

Neil

I didn't know that thread, thanks - not disimilar but not close enough

post-888-1222123758.jpg

post-888-1222123767.jpg

post-888-1222123860.jpg

I have just read the very interesting thread about 2nd Lieutenant EWB Maggs of the KRRC. It is not clear if anyone obtained a copy of his service file which would have revealed his previous military service. I cannot see a likely Surrey Yeomanry connection from the other thread, however, it would be good to see his file before ruling it out.

The photographic likeness is not a good one but is not too dissimilar to rule him out at this stage.

Second Lieutenant Eric William Bristowe Maggs was commissioned from the ranks of the Honourable Artillery Company where he served as a Private soldier with the service number 1266. There does not appear to be any connection with the Surrey Yeomanry.

I am sure that is right as on his MIC but that may just list units overseas with. As you say his papers may confirm it. It is a very long shot but how many contenders are there?