Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

47 Squadron South Russia

Mark Abbott

Gareth

Do you have any connection with No.47 Squadron?

Rob

Rob

No, I have no connection with the unit, just an interest in their deeds in South Russia.

Red, yellow and blue were the standard colours of the streamers attached to messages dropped from RFC/RAF aircraft (and the colours of Romania) but I've no idea why No 47 Sqn uses them.

Cheers

Gareth

Capt S M Kinkead's Awards

It was my understanding that Samuel Kinkead was awarded the following 3 Russian medals/decorations:-

Order of St Vladamir, 4th Class with Swords

Order of St Anne, 2nd Class

St George Cross, 4th Class

The photograph also depicts a fourth which looks like the Order of St Stanislaus. Can you confirm for me and also date of award?

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

• 1 year later...
Capt S M Kinkead's Awards

Attached to the above post is a painting (or drawing) of Capt S M Kinkead.

Does any member know if this is a copy of the painting unveiled by Sir Hugh Trenchard at the RAF Club, Piccadilly, on the 5th November 1928?

Rob

• 3 years later...

Resurecting an old thread.....

The grandfather of a friend was in 47 Sqdn RFC during the Frist World War when they were in Greece and died there in February 1917.

Might I ask if anyone knows of any squadron diaries and the like - the friend is trying to research her grandfather.

Many thanks!

Chalk

You might find Over the Balkans and South Russia by H A Jones (the history of No 47 Sqn RFC/RAF) [iSBN 0 947898 62 X] a good starting point.

Gareth

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Chalk,

For various reasons I haven't maintained regular access to the GWF and have just come across your post.

I hold extensive records on 47 Squadron in South Russia and only nominal information on the Balkan campaign. Let me have the name of your man and I will see what I have.

Rob.

Thanks Rob

The man is George Anthony Clutterbuck. He died 27th February 1917 and is buried in Sarigol Military Cemetry.

Going by the records of the CWGC there were several deaths in 47 Sqdn on 26 and 27th February, but none at all for some time both before and after that date.

Chalk

According to H A Jones : -

The following were killed 2nd February 1917: -

17691, A/Cpl. De Pomeroy

31384, 2 A.M., A. Chalmers

14417, 2 A.M., W. Parkinson

18096, 2 A.M., W. Chambers

41410, 2 A.M., G. Clutterbuck

32758, 2 A.M., R. Ward

1170, Pte., McGrath (attached)

740, Flight Sgt. R. Tansley was among those wounded 2nd Feb., but he died 27th Feb., 1917.

8 other ranks were also wounded 2nd Feb., 1917.

No other casualties among the other ranks until 7th April 1917.

Total 3 officers killed between 11th Feb and 26th Feb : Major Black, 11 Feb; 2/Lt Stopher, 12 Feb; and 2/Lt Howes, 26 Feb.

All I have.

Thank you Rob.

That is most interesting. Odd though that a date of 2nd February is given as the CWGC gives 26th or 27th for the deaths.

For there to have been so many casualties on one day in the middle of quite a calm period, 7 dead and 8 wounded, I can only wonder at what might have happened. Do you know of any clues that I might follow up to try to find out what happened? The granddaughter would really like to know.... Were there any casualty clearing stations perhaps, whose diaries might have survived? Presumably it did not involve flying or three would have been officers among the dead and wounded.

Very kind of you to help, it is much appreciated.

Chalk

The correct date should be 26 Feb.

The airfield at Janes (now Metalliko, home of "A" and "B" Flights, 47 Squadron) was bombed on that day by 21 German aircraft. It was one of the first raids by Kaghol 1, recently arrived at Hudova (Udovo/FYROM).

In the morning they had bombed the French airfield at Gorgop causing no casualties, but damaging or destroying all 12 aircraft of Escadrille 385. In the afternoon they hit Janes, causing little damage but 28 casualties, according to the Official History.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldsailor1968

Mark:

There is a picture of 47 Sqn in the canadian Legion Magazine. Go to "legionmagazine.com Archive 2006 Jan 08 Canadians Against The Bolsheviks: Air Force Part 25.

The Airman in the upper right is my Grandfather John Mitchell DSO DFC. The reason that the pic is in a canadian Mag is that the Sqn Leader Raymond Collishaw RNAS is from Nanaimo British Columbia Canada.

Another book was published in 2011: 'Gone to Russia to Fight - The RAF in South Russia 1918-1920' by John T Smith published by Amberley Publishing Plc of Stroud. ISBN 978-1-84868-891-9. It recounts the operations of 74, 221 and 226 Squadrons. I don't have it to hand but it had a number of contemporary photos, mostly of aircraft and a few ships. Roger Austin.

• 6 years later...

Hi i would be grateful if any of you knowledgeable chaps could help me in a search for any info on my grt uncle Fred Cardwell who was a pilot officer in 47 sqdn and died Oct 25th 1919 during operation Kronstadt.

regards

Russell Cardwell

Hi Russell

Welcome to the Forum.

Pilot Officer Fred Cardwell was attached to HMS Vindictive in the Baltic when he was posted as missing.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 17:48, Russell Cardwell said:

Hi i would be grateful if any of you knowledgeable chaps could help me in a search for any info on my grt uncle Fred Cardwell who was a pilot officer in 47 sqdn and died Oct 25th 1919 during operation Kronstadt.

regards

Russell Cardwell

Fred Cardwell from Blackpool I assume.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/6839074

His full service record is on Findmypast.

Screenshot_20190831-093929.jpg