Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Challenge for you - Name the Unit

JimSmithson

Hi

I picked this postcard up at the market in Arras. Anyone know who they are?

post-28845-1221413723.jpg

For the real experts - name the dog!! :P

Jim

The photograph appears to have been taken at Warminster and, looking at the style of SD cap and the hedgerow, in summer 1915. Since all the offficers appear to be wearing field boots and not puttees the unit is probably a mounted one as opposed to infantry. If it is possible to blow part of it up so that we can see the cap badges we might get further.

Charles M

I've tried to enlarge my scan for a badge but it loses too much resolution. I will try another scan and try to post the best cap badge I can. It is only a small postcard therefore might need a bit more high-tech than I have.

Jim

The rather portly officer seems to have a different badge - is it medical, chaplain, ...?

post-28845-1221418134.jpg

Thanks for the help. I was just intrigued but if anyone wants a high def. copy for their purposes just let me know. These are taken form a 1200 scan with a file size of 45Mb so transfer could be interesting.

Jim

Its interesting to see the wide variance in the style of the officers hats in a single unit. Some have the top completely stiff, others seem to have loosened the wire. Some are 'flat topped' others tilt back and so on. That worn by the large captain with the swagger stick sitting next to the end on the right (from the viewers perspective) looks quite odd for example as the top looks too small and the overall hat too tall. There also seems to be a variance in the shade of shirt worn.

The rather portly officer seems to have a different badge - is it medical, chaplain, ...?

post-28845-1221418134.jpg

Shame that you blew this bloke up,JIm.

Looking at the cast of 'goes forth' here.

That's Lord Melchit,2nd from right,seated.

George has been promoted & is sitting centre .

Bladders is with the dog.

Balders is behind George &

Is that a young Capt.Arthur Lowe 4th from right,seated?

Amazing photo!

I hope someone can put at least 1 name to 1 face.

Dave.

In that case the dog's name is Sebar~Montefiore IIIrd out of Hesketh of Fife ;)

Given Dave's idea I think the dog is Baldrick after they've given him a wash. :P

Jim

I think post #10 shows collar badge of a Territorial on the right behind the central officer (no 'ubique' scroll and a T apearing below the grenade) whilst the chap on the left seem to have no 'T' but does have the 'ubique' scroll which would imply that it is worn by a regular officer (although perhaps New Army gunners, on a 'regular' engagement, wore them). Presumably, cap badges would be similarly differentiated; didn't Territorials have a plain gun at this stage without the 'Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt'?

Ian

This would appear to be a photo of the officers of an RFA Brigade taken prior to going overseas, but I have no idea which one. Dick Flory

As R Flory observes this would appear to be the full complement of officers for an artillery brigade , including the medical officer and veterinary officers .. both quite portly...The abundance of Territorial 'T' badges on the collars is of interest .. should ity then be a TF Bde? .. but not all of the officers have the T collar badge below artillery badge...

There also appears to be be one Lt-Col too many ..the serious gent in the middle with the neck scarf .. who also appears to be TF and has a medal ribbon (or perhaps 2?).

It looks like an MC but might be a DSO catching the light in a strange way... (more likely for a LtCol?)

perhaps someone knows something about the Territorial 'T' badges - did they remain in use through the war?? .. when were they used?

d

I would posit that the 'portly officer' with the different badge is the vet - Army Veterinary Corps.

And I'm not so sure it says "Field Co" (our having established that they are Gunners anyway) more than "Field & Co." - the photographers.

I think you will find the writing is Fielder - Warminster. Fielder being a common name in Warminster. Fielder's photographers of Chichester also spread to Wimbledon, so maybe they had a shop in Warminster also, Kelly's would tell.

"George Fielder died in 1914. His two sons, Ernest Fielder and William Fielder carried on the photography business. In 1928 the two brothers bought a booksellers and stationery business at 54 Wimbledon Hill Road, Wimbledon. Over seventy years later Fielders was still operating in Wimbledon, selling books, stationery, office supplies and art materials."

Alan