Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking information.

bigalni

Ive acquired a very nice photograph of a man i think was a WW1 period Naval officer.

His name is C R.Beatty-Powhall(Or Powhale?).Spelling is i think correct from deciphering the signature.

A date of July 1909 is on the photo and i believe his rank was Commander(3 Rings with a loop on the top one?).I was told he served in WW1.

Anyone any info on him please?

Alan

Alan

I think it may well be Charles Pipon Beatty-Pownal CMG.

Born Jan 1872. Son of Capt CE Beatty-Pownall, 68th Light Infantry. Married, 1905, Wilmet, younger daughter of the Rev W Braithwaite. Educated HMS Britannia. Lt RN 1893; Commander 1905; Captain 1913. Served China, 1900 (medal); Persian Gulf 1910-12. (General Service Medal). 1914-18 War - commanded HMS Challenger in operations off Cameroons, German West Africa 1914 and subsequently. CMG 1919. Commanding depot for training of artificers 1921-23. ADC to King 1922-23. Rear Admiral 1923. Admiral superintending Chatham dockyard, 1925. Vice-Admiral 1928. Retired 1928. Lived Alton, Hants.

Hope this helps

Terry Reeves

Alan

I think it may well be Charles Pipon Beatty-Pownal CMG.

Born Jan 1872. Son of Capt CE Beatty-Pownall, 68th Light Infantry. Married, 1905, Wilmet, younger daughter of the Rev W Braithwaite. Educated HMS Britannia. Lt RN 1893; Commander 1905; Captain 1913. Served China, 1900 (medal); Persian Gulf 1910-12. (General Service Medal). 1914-18 War - commanded HMS Challenger in operations off Cameroons, German West Africa 1914 and subsequently. CMG 1919. Commanding depot for training of artificers 1921-23. ADC to King 1922-23. Rear Admiral 1923. Admiral superintending Chatham dockyard, 1925. Vice-Admiral 1928. Retired 1928. Lived Alton, Hants.

Hope this helps

Terry Reeves

Wow!

Many thanks Terry.

Ive rechecked his signature and in retrospect the name fits exactly.Its got to be our man.

Its a coincidence that his father was in the 68th..the Durham Light Infantry.......im from Durham and collect DLI photos aswell!

You are a mine of information.

He had a hell of a career.All i need now is info on HMS Challenger!

Alan

Alan,

Here's some info on Challenger's service.

Laid down, Chatham Dockyard 1/12/1900

Launched 27/5/02

Completed 3/5/04

Australia 1904-12

3rd Fleet, Devonport 1912-14

9 Cruiser Squadron, Portland 1914

Captured German steamer, Ulla Boog in Bristol Channel, Sept 1914

Detached to West Africa for Cameroons campaign, 1914-15

East Africa 1915-19

Paid off Portsmouth 1919

Sold to Wards, 1920

There are a couple of photos of Challenger here:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hermes_class1.htm

Cheers

Rich.

Many thanks for the information everyone .

All of it is very usefull!

A :D lan

• 4 months later...
Guest beaco9693

My Great Uncle was a stoker on Challenger. Here is a quote from his obituary in the local paper from 1916 (he contracted malaria).

"Five hours after the declaration of war Challenger captured a german vessel loaded with timber off Nash point, which was taken to Barry. He was very proud of the record of HMS Challenger and was delighted in describing many a hairbreath escape and exciting moments in her career. She had been through everything a cruiser is expected to do in war, from patrolling the Bristol Channel to the bombarding of Duala and Bonabari, the chief cities of the cameroons.

She was in the North Sea, and for a time patrolling the Mulls of Cantyre. She was at the Bay of Biscay on the 23rd of September and arrived off the Cameroons where she found HMS Cumberland. In narrating his experiences he was not at all willing that the papers returned that it was HMS Cumberland that shelled and reduced the capital of the cameroons. It was HMS Challenger that crossed the first line of defences and the officers and the crew were congratulated by the admiralty. At the entrance to the river the germans had sunk a dozen of the merchant vessels to check the advance of our cruisers up the river.

The river was strewn with mines and to pick these up in running water was no play. The entrance to the river was considered safe. It was said that the German Governor had invited many guests to witness the sinking of this little british cruiser; but when the cruiser got within range of Duala and turned her 6 inch guns on the town the sight was not at all interesting."

Hope that's of interest.

Taff