Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vimy Ridge Memorial

salientpoints

Hi,

I have picked up information that the memorial is coming down this year to be rebuilt with 25% new stone. The project will take two years. From Apr sometime, the whole top area will be closed for redevelopment and they will be putting in a new car park lower down and the Interpretation Centre will be moving to the area of the trenches. This may apparently lead to total closure on specified dates as the moves are carried out.

Does anyone know any more about this and what effect it is having on what you can see currently?

Thanks

Ryan

I was there the other week and was told that from April access to the Memorial site will be impossible; it will be totally closed off for 2 years while the work goes on. The whole 'site' will move, as you say, to the Trench Area where they are going to build a new Visitors Centre.

While I understand the need for this, I hope it will still be possible for next of kin to visit the names on the Vimy Memorial; after all, it is Canada's greatest memorial to the missing, in more way than one.

The young guides at the park said there would be something on the VAC website at some point.

Thanks Paul,

Kind of scuppers my plan to revisit shortly.

Anyway, I wonder if they will do any excavation in the currently fenced off areas while they are doing this work? 2 years is a long time and if you could stick an archeological team at the same time it may be worthwhile?

I cam across this interesting link today -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/vimy/

And if anyone wants the VAC site -

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?s...als/ww1mem/vimy

Ryan

I was there about 3 weeks ago and couldn't get to either the memorial, Givenchy-en-Gohelle or Canadian No2 cemeteries, or the preserved trenches. Most disappointing as I was with 3 people who had never been there before.

I agree with Paul though, it would be a tragedy if people couldn't visit a name.

The Minister of Veterans Affairs at the time (Ron Duhameland) announced this restoration project in mid 2001. He committed $30 million in new funding for the repair, restoration, and rehabilitation of the Canadian National Vimy Memorial and 12 other Great War battlefield memorials throughout Europe. It was expected to take approximately six years to complete all the work necessary to properly restore the Vimy Memorial and the 12 other monuments. It's my understanding this work is on schedule.

Garth

Just had some info through on Vimy Ridge.

They plan to restore the monument at the beginning of May,(wheras it will still be accessible until then) whereupon it will be covered for up to 2-3yrs. As mentioned earlier, the Interpretive Centre is being moved to the Trench area. The guided tours of the trenches & tunnels will start in May, to coincide the shutting of the Memorial, with these tours now incorparating all the cemeteries aswell. They plan to announce further plans soon...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...