Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital of Roziere aux Salmes

armistice

Hi All,

My first post (of many - I hope!), so be gentle.

Currently doing some personal research and I'm stuck on a name.

According to the online descriptions of records held be the National Archives, Lady Cecilia Congreve (wife of General Walter Norris Congreve and mother to William La Touche Congreve) was chief nurse at the hospital of Roziere aux Salmes...

[no title] D1057/R/6/1 Aug. 1918

Contents: Letter awarding medaille d'honneur to Lady Cecilia Congreve, chief nurse at the hospital of Roziere aux Salmes

Can anyone tell me exactly where this was, or any other relevant information? A google search of the name reveals nothing!

Many thanks

For 'Roziere aux Salmes',are you sure of the spelling on that?

'Rosiere aux Sables' will lead to what google France thinks it should say but,who knows?

There is a wealth of info on here about the Congreve's.

Try putting the name in the search box.

Good luck,

Dave.

Thanks for the welcome :D

You may be right on the spelling - unfortunately, the quote in my first post is the only reference I currently have. Plan to see the original letters (one day) to clarify this point however.

Did a search on the family name within this site, Cecilia is only referenced with respect to her relationship to her husband and son. Her own distinguished service record hasn't been explored.

Among the awards she received were the Medaille d'Honneur, the Croix de Guerre, and La Médaille de la Reconnaissance Française.

Thanks again

Rozieres was the location of No. 47 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station) but only for a short period from 11.3.18 to 28.3.18. Rozieres aux Salines is just SE of Nancy.