Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Newspapers 1914

lansleyd

Hello and Good Afternoon from North Lincolnshire,

Looking for two men named Dodgson who may have enlisted in 1914.

Likely to have been in 3/5th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment.

Would the local newspapers have carried the names of enlisted men?

They went on to become Cadet-Captain and Cadet-lieutenant (as of January 1915)

Does anyone know what OTC they would have gone to, with KLR connections?

Regards,

David

David

I have just caught up with you on this thread. I have a list of surnames in 'Liverpool's Scroll of Fame, but there are no Dodgsons among them.

Sorry I have no more about enlistments etc, but perhaps someone with more info will come across this thread.

Daggers

Is my memory playing tricks, or have there been posts before about this familiy ?

P.B.

Quite right. I haven't got very far!!

There are two Officers Dodgson. No MIC, one has a file in WO 374(from memory) which I have had photocopied, the early Army Lists mention them as TFR Gen List but infuriatingly I can't get proof of KLR Battalion details - I strongly suspect they were in KLR but my main hope now is TNA to look at all the Monthly Army Lists, and YOUR HELP PLEASE ( FORUM)

David

I have just caught up with you on this thread. I have a list of surnames in 'Liverpool's Scroll of Fame, but there are no Dodgsons among them.

Sorry I have no more about enlistments etc, but perhaps someone with more info will come across this thread.

Daggers

Thanks Daggers, your reply about the Scroll appreciated.

Can anyone please help re my question Did local newspapers carry lists of newly enlisted Army recruits ?

Don't know about Liverpool, but the local rag here did it's best in this corner of God's Own Country to present local enlistment. In fact, it apologised for being unable to give a comprehensive list due to the fact that so many men were enlisting that they couldn't keep up with the flood. Another local paper didn't even attempt to provide the names. So; it depended on the editor, and the amouint of staff they had, whether they wanted to; were able to; or just unable to cope. In Liverpool, though, I would have thought that the Daily Post group had the manpower and capacity to do so in their local rags.

• 2 weeks later...

Search goes on for any written evidence that the two Dodgson's were in a KLR Battalion.

None of the Monthly Army Lists have them down for any KLR Bn, only the vague and mystical " Territorial Force reserve - General List"

Has anybody come across problems before with this List and trying to pin down a Regiment?

I have skimmed the LG but could not see any ref to King's (Liverpool) for any Dodgson. Do we have initials/forenames? The only cadet ref was for Guy Dodgson, ex Winchester College OTC to be 2/Lieut wef 28 Oct 1914 (in Issue # 28953)

I have skimmed the LG but could not see any ref to King's (Liverpool) for any Dodgson. Do we have initials/forenames? The only cadet ref was for Guy Dodgson, ex Winchester College OTC to be 2/Lieut wef 28 Oct 1914 (in Issue # 28953)

They are Charles Hassard Wilfrid Dodgson, and Reginald Henry Lutwidge Dodgson. THe latter does occur in the Gazette when one searches for DODGEON as there was a type-face error in the Gazette.

I can't see anything stating their unit.

Dodgson - LG # 29348, 2 Nov 1915: "General List, CHWD to be Captain, dated 5 July 1915". Oddly, no existing rank is given in his case. I found this using Wilfrid Dodgson.

Very odd, all round!

D

Dodgson - LG # 29348, 2 Nov 1915: "General List, CHWD to be Captain, dated 5 July 1915". Oddly, no existing rank is given in his case. I found this using Wilfrid Dodgson.

Very odd, all round!

D

We noted on the other thread "Man Enlists Gazette..." that CHWD seems to come straight in at Captain rank July 1915 from civilian. He is known as Cadet-Captain in a newspaper clipping from

his fathers' funeral dated Jan 1915.

Cheers, D.