Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of possible Merchant Navy Non-Coms

Neil Clark

Terry,

Dave Hughes has asked me to have a look at 3 Merchant Navy casualties who lost their lives in the Second World War. The work highlighted the fact that on the "Prince of Wales Sea Training Hostel" civic memorial there are 6 men who appear to have no official tribute.

I understand that the situation concerning Merchant Navy sailors is not straightforward like their Royal Navy counterparts. I note that a couple of these men were working on a foreign vessel when killed.

Could you please give me your candid opinion on each of these cases:

1. FAWCETT W

2. FURNIS W

3. KINGSLAND A.H

The list for download is here. This report is the superb work of my best mate Dave Hughes - http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/DO...0OF%20WALES.pdf

Thanking you kindly for your valued advice. I'm also eager to hear advice & opinion(s) from Chris Harley and anyone else with an interest in these affairs. I must admit that I've no real passion for this particular aspect of the wars. I do however believe these men got a raw deal with official commemoration compared to RN sailors.

Neil

Neil

sight of the DCs would confirm their status as casualties of the war - without those I really cant comment anymore

Chris

Neil

excellent - how many are there in all?

Chris

Re the entry on William Blair SS Abukir the raises the possibility of more unrecognised civilian war dead due to the British schoolgirls on board

Chris

Neil

re the lad on the ABUKIR i dont think there will be problem getting him recognised as the vessel was sunk by enemy action - re the schoolgirls will have a look at the Times Archives later today - going to open a new thread to get some more info

Chris

Neil

there no civilian deaths on CWGC that come close for any of the girls

Chris

Chris,

I presume you are talking about W BLAIR in relation to the sinking of the Abukir in Dover Harbour?

Dave Hughes did that report so I'm not up to speed on it's content as much as I should be. Dave gave me a list of men who don't have CWGC commemoration. I want to try and get those men the tribute they deserve. With regard to those civilian schoolgirls I'm struggling to find a way forward...

Neil

W BLAIR should be no prob when the DC arrives

As it stands at the moment I cant even get into the Times Archives so will report back later

Chris