Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Owen ' Royal Rifles'

Hywyn

I wonder if anyone has the time to give this a 'fresh pair of eyes' check. Also an Overseas Index check would be useful

I have picked up the following in a local Caernarfon newspaper dated July 1917 and I am having difficulties in identifying Henry Owen on CWGC.

"Pte Thomas Owen, son of Mrs Ann Owen, 5 Well Street is home on short leave. He and his brother Henry joined the Royal Rifles at Cardiff at the outset of the War. Thomas went over to France in October 1914 aged 19 and was in the retreat from Mons. Henry was killed in action on 25th September 1916."

The date seems quite specific. I have consulted CWGC/SDGW/Geoffs Engine to no avail (including Owens)

I have also tried to identify them on the medal cards (at least Thomas should have an 'entry date' in 1914) as Kings Royal Rifles and Royal Irish Rifles but not having much luck. I'm apt to rule out the nearest Kings Rifles on CWGc i. e. R9171 due to the SDGW info putting him in Yorkshire.

In the 1901 Census I cannot spot them for that address with a mother Ann. The best I can turn up is a Thomas Owens aged 5 (fits the newspaper info)who has a brother William Henry in the Town.

Thereis no Henry owen on the local town memorial

I appreciate that I am going on newspaper evidence and possibly something else will turn up but meanwhile could I ask if an Overseas Index search be made that may throw something up

TIA

Hywyn

Hywyn,

The only Henry Owens I can find in the GRO for 1916 is Henry J., # 3940, L/Cpl of the North Staffordshire Regiment.

Andy :ph34r: the unamed one

In the 1901 Census I cannot spot them for that address with a mother Ann. The best I can turn up is a Thomas Owens aged 5 (fits the newspaper info)who has a brother William Henry in the Town.

Hywyn,

Its possible he could be William Henry? Have come across quite a few in the IFTC project where the forenames are swapped in GRO. Was the mother Ann?

Andy,

Nice name ;)

Just to tie the thread up.

I have now come across further newspaper references in Feb 1916 which referrred to him as W H Owen and being killed the previous September

It is indeed William Henry Owen and I've found him in Sept 1915 nor 1916 as per the original newspaper info. SDGW further verifies it.

I resolutely refuse to believe that it could be a transcription error on my behalf!! :-)

Thanks for the interest and the data

hywyn