Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain William Raine MC

Hett65

Captain William Raine was awarded the MC during the war, he was with the 9th Battalion Kings(Liverpool) Regiment when he was KIA on the 8th September 1918 aged 27 years.

I have found 5 entries in the London Gazette in relation to promotions etc and it mentions he is the holder of the Military Cross.

Unfortunately the only entry I cannot find (and I have checked over 100 Gazette entries for Raine) is when he was awarded the MC, can anyone assist me with this enquiry.

Thanks

John

John

He was awarded his MC as 2nd Lt - listed in Supplement to the London Gazette 1 January 1917, on page 40.

Looks like he was on the King's New Year Honour List, hence no details of award.

Stuart

Promenade

William Raine MC was one of two brothers who fought in the 1st WW, tragically both were killed. William was KIA 8.9.1918 and his brother Matthew Raine Pte 270268 Northumberland Hussars was KIA 30.10.1917. (Matthew was employed at Spennymoor Co-op prior to the war) They were the sons of John James and Mary Raine of 3 Station Cottages, Byers Green, Co Durham.

William was a married man, his wife Sarah lived 14 Prospect Terrace, Eighton Banks, Gateshead.

I have the Gazette entries re William's award of the MC and promotions, but as yet do not have which regiment he joined or the date he joined up. I am currently researching the men on the Byers Green War Memorial and hope to get more information in future, including Raine's papers.

John

And don't believe everything you read in the LG. For years I hunted for my Grandfathers MC posting and when it finally came to light it was for his MID and not his MC. I tried the best I could to get the LG team to look into this matter but nothing ever came of my requests, so years from now the history will be as reported in the LG and not as it happened. Strange how once something is in print it becomes factual even when it is wrong?

Has anyone had better luck getting the LG to fix an error?

Grandfather Laughton's MC

note2.jpg

John,

Have sent you a PM

Promenade

Promenade

I have tried sending you a PM but your box is full and I cannot get through.

John

Laughton

It is a shame that it is not recorded, and you are unable to do anything about it, however if you have his medals it is a great consolation to know they will be handed down through the generations of your family.

John

Promenade

I have attached photograph of Byers Green War Memorial with Wiiliam Raine MC and his brother Matthew's names recorded.

John

post-14035-1220901509.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have been researching my relative, Robert Darling, who joined the Northumbrian Hussars with William Raine, and who was also commissioned to the Kings Liverpool Regt at the same time as Raine was. I have some other information, letters and a photo of him if you are interested?

Mark

Mark

I will send a pm in relation to Robert Darling.

John

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have tried in vain to find the MC citation for this man. I have a transcipt of it (from the Eighton Banks website).
Could somebody give me a tip? The Gazette search 'facility' is driving me mad......

Thx, Peter

His award seems to be have been gazetted in the 1917 New Year Honours list https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29886/supplement/40. Such awards generally didn't have a citation published, and were often for more general "good works", rather than a single act of gallantry

I also found the 'New Year' listing in the Gazette. But it didn't jive with the Eighton Banks "citation", which is:

"For consistent good service and devotion to duty for a period of 25 months in France.

This officer rendered good service as a platoon commander in this Battalion from October, 1915 to April, 1916. Since May 1916 he has rendered particularly good service as Acting Adjutant.

He proved of great assistance during active operations on the Somme, from August to October 1916, working under very trying circumstances and often heavy fire, particularly during the attack near GUILLEMONT 12.8.1916 and operations near FLEURS 25.9.1916"

It is the citation copied here that I cannot find... :(

Peter

That looks very much like the sort of thing that would lead to a New Honours award to me, particularly the fact he had been acting adjutant. He may well have had a copy of the citation himself, or it may even have appeared in the lcoal press at the time the award was announced, but New Year Honours awards did not have the citation gazetted. Further details might also appear in the battalion war diary (or maybe some record of the recommendation in brigade/division etc diaries).

• 6 years later...
On 07/09/2008 at 21:30, Hett65 said:

Promenade

William Raine MC was one of two brothers who fought in the 1st WW, tragically both were killed. William was KIA 8.9.1918 and his brother Matthew Raine Pte 270268 Northumberland Hussars was KIA 30.10.1917. (Matthew was employed at Spennymoor Co-op prior to the war) They were the sons of John James and Mary Raine of 3 Station Cottages, Byers Green, Co Durham.

William was a married man, his wife Sarah lived 14 Prospect Terrace, Eighton Banks, Gateshead.

I have the Gazette entries re William's award of the MC and promotions, but as yet do not have which regiment he joined or the date he joined up. I am currently researching the men on the Byers Green War Memorial and hope to get more information in future, including Raine's papers.

John

Hello Where did William work prior to the war ?

aden10

When William enlisted as Pte 2216 Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry (TF) at Newcastle upon Tyne on 1st April 1913 he informed them he was employed as a clerk with Messrs Bell Bros at Tursdale Colliery which is near Coxhoe and West Cornforth, Co Durham 

That's fantastic, where did you get that information from ? 

H

1 hour ago, Hett65 said:

aden10

When William enlisted as Pte 2216 Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry (TF) at Newcastle upon Tyne on 1st April 1913 he informed them he was employed as a clerk with Messrs Bell Bros at Tursdale Colliery which is near Coxhoe and West Cornforth, Co Durham 

Thank you I have now confirmed that William Million Raine as he was known by his full name is listed on Tursdale War Memorial too, the 1911 census shows he was a Colliery Clerk living at Horden. His marriage confirms his middle name initial too. Over joyed to confirm this.

I have sent a message to you regarding Raine, attached is a photograph of him (far right) in the uniform of the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry.

Raine.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I have Captain William Raine MC  Death Plaque and wondered if there are any photos of him once commissioned?

3404B1E2-3813-4B8B-96B7-2DDBE4864920.jpeg