Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Google Chrome browser

burlington

Blisteringly fast to load both the program and web pages.

Simple, almost minimalistic, front end.

I like it!

Martin

and for the ignorant and uninitiated???

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Sandra

Google have just launched their own browser, called Google Chrome.

You can download it HERE for the Vista/XP versions though other versions for Mac & Linux are also available.

Martin

goodie ta Martin ... that explains it very well and it won't suit my PC. I still run ME ... suits all the research software that I have whereas XP and VISTA are not compatible. Gawwwdddd I hate change sometimes ...

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I've heard some very good reports about this.

Some people don't like it - but it's a personal thing rather than an operating thing.

I have yet to try it out but will do so soon

Hmmm. Not sure. It won't be replacing IE on my machine.

10 minutes after I installed and ran it, my PC suffered a port attack (fended off by Bullguard). Possibly coincidence, but I doubt it.

Firefox works well for me ... at least I don't get screen freezes like I did with IE :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I'd be a bit wary of using Chrome a lot at the moment. I found this security warning

"This is a security bulletin from the MCT-SafeComputing-List.

A copy of the text of this email for verification - which may include further updates is at:‧ http://safecomputing.open.ac.uk/latest_bulletins.htm

Bulletin ID (also shown on web version): DCLR-7J5QXC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B U L L E T I N

Google has released a new Windows web browser called 'Chrome' but on its first day as a Beta release, a security researcher has already discovered a 'carpet-bombing' vulnerability that could expose Windows users of the new browser to serious security attacks. This is the same vulnerability that was originally discovered in Apple’s Safari browser four months ago.

In May 2008, Microsoft issued a Microsoft Security Advisory (953818) urging Windows users not to use Apple's web browser. It is unclear whether Microsoft will do the same for Windows users of Chrome browser. Apple patched the flaw with Safari v3.1.2 in June and Safari is now secure from that flaw.

Hackers could exploit carpet-bombing flaw and combine two vulnerabilities “…a flaw in Apple Safari's WebKit and a Java bug to trick users into launching a malicious executable file directly from the new browser.”

However, 'Chrome' is still in the early beta stage, bugs and security vulnerabilities are certain to be discovered and reported in the coming days or weeks. Early adopter 'Chrome' users should be cautious about what they look at with the new browser whilst it is in the Beta phase of testing. In particular, steer clear of suspicious web sites to minimise the chances of being attacked by pop-up downloads, dialers and viruses. Google is expected to issue a patch for the vulnerabilty soon as the Beta programme rolls forward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a review of Chrome on the Spy Bot - Search and Destroy Home Page,it make for interesting reading.I tried Chrome last Night on my Pc,and it caused my PC to slow down drastically,and the actual Programme itself seems to make the whole Internet browsing experience far more complicated than when using Internet Explorer.I will NOT be using CHROME.I for one will stay with Internet Explorer 7.

Whatever you do DO NOT try IE Beta 8.2 as it crashed my VISTA big time!! It took me an hour or more to find out how to remove it, but it was possible and now I am back alive. Another Bill Gates trick like VISTA - sounds good, makes all other software and hardware crash.

After downloading Google Chrome it reduced the font size in all my web sites & Mail. I couldn't find a method of rectifying this problem & having failing eyesight (even with glasses), uninstalled it. May try again when it comes out of Beta.

I would always hesitate to use a Beta which is a test model where you help the programmers find their mistakes. In something like a browser wheere the errors will possibly expose you to security risks which are even greater than normal, I would not dream of it. On the IT sites I frequent, it is not getting very enthusiastic praise. I'll give it a miss for some time yet.

I would always hesitate to use a Beta which is a test model where you help the programmers find their mistakes. In something like a browser where the errors will possibly expose you to security risks which are even greater than normal, I would not dream of it. On the IT sites I frequent, it is not getting very enthusiastic praise. I'll give it a miss for some time yet.

Could not agree more with respect to Beta versions of software (which for the uninitiated are not-fully-finished trial versions put in the public domain so that users can find the sort of problems that test programs fail to find). Likewise, I am wary of version 0 software (=Beta?) and even version 1.0 (in fact any .0 version - remember Lotus 123W 1.0, dBaseIV 1.0?).

From what I have read it looks conceptually interesting (re speed - if you have enough memory, and security) and I might try version 1.1. A little bit concerned with respect to Google's growing reputation for wanting to know all about me. Will I be able to block adverts (as I can with Firefox - OK, I am using version 3.0 - but it is 3.0.1 !)?

David