Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Horace Enfield Simmons, M.C., D.F.C.

RFT

Seeking information on Lieut Horace Enfield Simmons, MC, DFC.

Formerly 2/Lieut Welsh Regiment and RFC.

Served with "C" Flight, 47 Squadron RAF, South Russia, 1919.

Awarded the Russian 'Order of Stanislaus, 3rd Class with Swords.'

Would like to know more about Lieut Simmons post 1919.

Can anyone help?

RFT

This is what I have on him from my Roll of Officers of the Welsh Regt. 1914 - 1919. Not a great deal after 1920 I am afraid.

Simmons,H.E: 12th (Reserve) Bn Welsh Regt. & RA.F.

T/2Lt: 30.10.15: T/2Lt. Horace Enfield Simmons, Welsh Regt. to be T/Lt. Service Bn. Welsh R., 1.7.17.

H.E.Simmons, M.C. (T/Lt., Welsh Regt.), was granted a temp. commission as 2Lt. (Observer Officer) R.A.F. and to be hon. Lt. 3.5.18.

M.C., L.G: cit:-26.5.17. (T/2Lt. WR.):

D.F.C., L.G: 1.4.20.

July 1917 AL notes award of the M.C.

Served in North Russia and South Russia with R.A.F. and received the Order of St.Vladimir, and the Cross of St George.

D.F.C. awarded for South Russia, and is mentioned on page 151 of the book "Over South Russia", which records the exploits of 47 Squadron. C Flight on 5th August 1919 for three bombing raids on Tcherni-Yar in the same day. He is noted as having crashed in a DH9 No D3147 with 47 Squadron at Ekaterinodar.

White Russian Awards also credits him (as Observer Officer) with the Order of St Stanislaus 3rd Class with swords.

Air Force List of April 1920 notes that he was entitled to the Order of St Stanislaus 3rd Class with swords and Bow.

M.C. L.G: cit:- 26.5.17. "Temp. 2nd Lt. Horace Enfield Simmons, Welsh R. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a raid on the enemy's trenches. He displayed great courage and skill in fixing a torpedo in position in the enemy's wire."

D.F.C., L.G. 1.4.20. Lt. Horace Enfield Simmons, M.C., "A" Detachment (Welch Regt.)., "At Cherni War, [should be Cherni Yar, (Volga)] on 27th August, 1919, Lt. Simmons, flying a D.H.9, carried, out work usually assigned to Scout machines. Descending to water level, he attacked a large fleet of enemy, vessels, being hotly, received by enemy fire from every description of guns. This daring attack created, the utmost confusion amongst the Bolshevik, troops, who suffered heavy casualties. Lt.Simmons has always displayed courage and ability of a high order during the operations in South Russia. (Military Cross gazetted 25th March, 1917.).

2Lt. (Hon. Lt.) H.E.Simmons, M.C. was transferred to the R.A.F unempld. list, 8.1.20.

BWM & VM (2Lt.). Medals to be issued by Air Ministry. R.F.C. list, from suspense list. Address: Holly Bank, Buckley Nr. Chester.

An internet search indicates that there have been a couple of articles on him in the Buckley Society Journal. http://www.buckleysociety.org.uk/subject.htm

Dave

Hello Dave,

What a response to my request for information. Thank you very much indeed.

Lieut Simmons was placed on the unemployed list 8th January 1920. Several of the officers faced the same fate, as indeed did a number of other ranks. A fair number of the latter were recruited in April May 1919 for one years service.

I will certainly take a look at the Buckley Society Journal.

Once again, thank you very much for your input.

Regards

Rob

Edited by RFT
Updated text.

• 11 years later...

Have only recently come across a delightful 45 page A4 booklet entitled "The Rev Horace Enfield Simmons MC, DFC, MA - Buckley's Forgotten Hero" by Bill Pritchard (The Buckley Society).  Published 2018 - Seemingly only a handful of copies remain.

This leads me on to the subject of Lt Simmons medals (and Russian awards) - It appears these may have been sold at auction many years ago.  Does anyone have any knowledge of them or indeed a photograph?

Rob