Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harrow School Roll of Honour

stuart714

Found on old link info on officer I am researching - Captain E J Brodie - and his bio which was published in the Harrow School Roll of Honour.

Can someone provide me with the info to who wrote this book, when it was published and by whom?

Thanks

Stuart

Dear Stuart

I have Vol 1 of the Harrow School ROH and Capt Ewan James Brodie is in it. If you want a scan of the entry let me know and I will email it to you.

Just after I got the book I wrote to Harrow and got a reply from the School Archivist and she told me

' This is the first in a series of SIX books published between 1918-1922. The actual total no. of old Harrovians killed in WW1 is 644, this figure does NOT take into account those who died as a result of wounds'

Book was printed for Harrow School by publisher Philip Lee Warner, publisher to the Medici Society Ltd

I don't know about you but I think that is a huge total for a relatively small school by todays standards

Hope this has been of help. If you need any thing else let me know.

Alun

Dear Stuart

I have Vol 1 of the Harrow School ROH and Capt Ewan James Brodie is in it. If you want a scan of the entry let me know and I will email it to you.

Just after I got the book I wrote to Harrow and got a reply from the School Archivist and she told me

' This is the first in a series of SIX books published between 1918-1922. The actual total no. of old Harrovians killed in WW1 is 644, this figure does NOT take into account those who died as a result of wounds'

Book was printed for Harrow School by publisher Philip Lee Warner, publisher to the Medici Society Ltd

I don't know about you but I think that is a huge total for a relatively small school by todays standards

Hope this has been of help. If you need any thing else let me know.

Alun

Alun

thanks for this, I got the page from the former thread but could you tell me what page number he is on.

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart

The book does not have page numbers but your man is No. 10 in the book. Each man has a page of biography and a photo opposite so counting the intro, index of names and a short poem 'A Grave in Flanders' by Crewe, Capt Brodie is on pages 24 & 25.

Regards

Alun

Stuart

The book does not have page numbers but your man is No. 10 in the book. Each man has a page of biography and a photo opposite so counting the intro, index of names and a short poem 'A Grave in Flanders' by Crewe, Capt Brodie is on pages 24 & 25.

Regards

Alun

Alun

Thnaks for this.

Stuart

Stuart

Just read the details of Capt Brodie's death. Pity the MC wasn't instituted until 31/12/14 as that is the least that he deserved.

I noticed this because out of 100 names in Vol 1 only 4 with DSO's no other decorations, no wonder the MC was instituted, but unfortunately not retrospective.

Although I am Welsh I collect Scottish Medals. Have a nice 14 Trio and Scroll plus his father's Afghan, Egypt and Khedive Star + Photos, to a Pte in the 1st Camerons. He was a pre war regular who rejoined on the outbreak of war.

Alun

Alun

Sotty to butt in but have you got anything on two former Harrow boys who luckily have names beginning with the right letters of the alphabet for Vol 1 (I hope)

Augustus Agelasto

and Derek Percy Cox

Any information gratefully received, pictures earn you a place in my hall of fame

Regards John

John,

The Harrow School ROH is organised by dates for the various volumes. Your man Dereck Percy Cox is in Volume 5 which covers the period April 11th 1917 to April 10th 1918.

I will get this e-mailed over to you this weekend sometime.

Andy

Andy

Thankyou so much. He's been one of "mine" for four years now and (as you know) it is fantastic to put a face to a name

Yet again I owe you

Many thanks John

John

Andy is correct and the Harrow ROH is arranged by date. My vol 1 covers 23 Aug 1914 to 10 March 1915.

Still looking for the other 5 for my set.

Alun

Hambro wrote

Sotty to butt in but have you got anything on two former Harrow boys who luckily have names beginning with the right letters of the alphabet for Vol 1 (I hope)

Augustus Agelasto

For reasons that I do not understand, there is no memorial for Augustus Stephen Agelasto in any of the six volumes of Harrow Memorials. He is listed in the Harrow School Register 1885 -1949 as follows:

Agelasto, Augustus Stephen son of S. A. Agelasto, Esq., 185, Gloucester Terrace, Hyde Park, W. at Harrow School from Midsummer 1901 to 1903. Served in the Great War as Lieut. 1st Bn, Dorset Regt., France 1915-16; MC; one despatch. Killed in action on the Somme, Nov. 8th, 1916.

He is also not in the list of dead in either the December 1916 or June 1917 Harrovian War Supplement nor does his obituary appear in any issue of that publication.

It would appear that Harrow completely missed the fact that he was KIA until well after the Great War.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 1 month later...

Me again

I've just discovered that another man I've been researching for a long while may have gone to Harrow and I wonder if there is an entry/photo which would confirm this.

This is what I have so far

Lamaison, Leonard William Henry Lieutenant

2/5th (TF) Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Killed in action 2nd of July 1916 aged 40

He was the son of the late William and Marian Lamaison of Southwold, Kenly in Surrey and husband to Charlotte Florence living at Worsted Green Mersham. On his death she remarried and became Burton living at Esmeryl, Dehra Dun in India

He was gazetted as a Temporary Lieutenant in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on the 5th of January 1916

On their first spell in the trenches, having only arrived in France on the 22nd of May, the battalion were holding trenches due east of Laventie. There was a heavy German artillery barrage during the evening of the 1st of July beginning at 9pm and finishing at 11.30pm which caused damage to 50 yards of support trench which was “obliterated” causing a number of casualties. In all 30 men and 2 officers were carried down “Winchester” trench to the regimental aid post. Lieutenants Lamaison and Budd died as a result of this action.

Buried at Rue-de-Bacquerot No.1 Military Cemetery, Laventie Plot I Row J Grave 7

I know the roll comes in different volumes so it's fingers crossed as to whether anyone out there has that volume assuming of course that he did go to Harrow

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

You are in luck yet again, he is in volume 3 of the HROH.

Andy

Andy

You're slipping. That was three minutes from post to photo and bio

What can I say?

Got the email as well so thanks for that as well

The debt mounts!

All the best John