Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Things that go bang

Eceabat

Hi all,

just a short one for all those who like a loud noise and a big splash.

Turkish experts were called in to detonate a WW1 era mine found 100 metres off the coast to the south of Kabatepe, the headland a couple of kilometres to the south of Anzac Cove on September 1.

The mine was in about 12 metres of water and was probably laid by the British following the evacuation of the Peninsula in late 1915, early 1916. The Brits laid thousands of mines off the coast between 1916 and 1918. These mines accounted for the German light cruiser Breslau in January 1918 and damaged the battle cruiser Goeben when the two sortied out of the Dardanelles.

As you can see from the attached news pic, the mine near Kabatepe still packed a punch.

Ignore the inserted pic in the photo, it is of a US navy vessel heading into the Black Sea.

Cheers

Bill

post-6723-1220445677.jpg

Many thanks for that Bill

The location sounds as if its not too far from where, almost exactly a year ago,

Len Sellers' 'RND' tour sailed to Gökçeada (Imbros) in search of GHQ

A narrow escape for some forum members? :o

best regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

indeed the mine was right near the ferry port and directly on the route of the ferry to Imbros. The RND still tempts fate on land and sea at Gallipoli.

Cheers

Bill

Damn things are popping up like mushrooms. Turkish military demolition experts detonated another mine off Camburnu, just below the town of Eceabat on the Dardanelles side of the peninsula today (Sept 8). This one was a Turkish mine from the war, lying 75 metres off the coast in just four metres of water.

I was tempted to make a comment about me being a mine of useless information but I restrained myself.

Cheers

Bill

I was tempted to make a comment about me being a mine of useless information but I restrained myself.

Aren't mines big round things!??

Trust your well Bill. I think your namesake might be at Erol's, or is due at Erol's pretty soon.

Regards,

Jonathan S

"Aren't mines big round things!??"

Jonathan, you haven't seen me lately, not enough exercise.

I hadn't heard Len was on the peninsula, my spy network must be breaking down.

Here is a media shot of the mine off Camburnu in the straits being detonated, just for those who like that sort of thing.

Cheers

Bill

post-6723-1221046424.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is getting ridiculous.

An article in the local Canakkale media a couple of days ago reported that fishermen off the village of Geyikli, past the mouth of the Dardanelles, had an unusual catch. Apparently a torpedo was found, believed to be of English make, dating from the war. Not having found any more information on this, or even what was done with the torpedo, I can't confirm this, but it did receive fair coverage in the local media.

If correct, that would take the tally to three mines and one torpedo in the past month.

Oh yeah, the heavily corroded empty shell of another British mine was found this summer off Lala Baba in the Suvla region and two blocks of guncotton, used in some British mines, came up in a fisherman's net right off V Beach at Cape Helles. Both blocks were dated (1914 and 1915) and were stamped with their given weight and maker's marks.

Cheers

Bill