Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Regiment - 8th Battalion

simonrguy

In my continuing research into Capt E H Harrison I have come across a conundrum. His MIC lists him as being in the 5 East Surrey Regiment (TF) whereas the CWGC site has him in the 8th Battalion. Could anybody tell me why this is different? I am assuming that he joined the 5th but was transferred to the 8th (or the other way round?) Is there anyway of knowing when he enlisted and when/where he transferred?

Thanks

Simon

Simon

It may be that one battalion was when he was an "other rank", the second being the one with which he served as an officer.

Whatever the explanation, the answer is likely to lie in either his service file or the actual medal roll - both only available at the National Archives.

John

There is a brief mention of him in the History of the East Surrey Regiment, Vol III 1917-19, page 199.

During the heavy fighting of the previous week the Battalion had suffered the loss of Captains H. S. Todd, M.C. (4th Battn, attd.) and E.H. Harrison (5th Battn. attd).

It therefore seems that he was a 1/5th Battalion officer attached to the 8th Battalion.

Simon.

Hi Simon

My grandfather served in the 7th East Surreys and I have his active service paybook which has pay entries signed by about 9 different offficers. Most of them definitely belonged to the 7th Bn, but one is shown in the Army List and on his MIC as 5th Bn and there is another, with an uncommon name, who is shown in the Army list and on his MIC as belonging to the Royal Fusiliers.

I guess officers and men were moved around as required without it necessarily being officially recorded so anomalies like the one you have found will often occur. So I suppose this means the records have to be treated with a degree of caution.

Best wishes

Phil

Many thanks John/Simon/Phil

The extract from the book sounds v interesting - according to the cwgc and the The Times announcement he was killed on the 18th September 1918. Does that tie in with the dates from the book?

Thanks again

Simon

The extract from the book sounds v interesting - according to the cwgc and the The Times announcement he was killed on the 18th September 1918. Does that tie in with the dates from the book?

The death of Captain H.S. Todd, M.C. is described as taking place on the night of the 17th/18th September during the advance towards Ronssoy. The book does not mention the circumstances of Captain E. H. Harrison's death.

Hi,

These are what I have found on some Army Lists

Regards Mark

ARMY LIST NOV 1916

THE EAST SURREY REGIMENT-

5th Bn,—

2nd Lieutenant

2 Harrison, E. H. 7 Jan 16, *10 Apr 16

* Temporary Rank or Temporary Commission.

(Where two dates appear against the name of an officer of the Territorial Force, the asterisk placed before the later date denotes that the present appointment Is temporary.)

In Regimental Lists an Officer's Battalion Is indicated by a number agalnst hls name; a number enclosed in brackets denotes that the Officer Is attached and not posted.

ARMY LIST NOV 1917

THE EAST SURREY REGIMENT-

5th Bn,—

Lieutenant

Harrison, E. H. 7 July 17

Simon,

The Surrey History Centre at Woking holds Nominal Rolls of Officers for the Queen’s Royal West Surrey and East Surrey Regiments and the 21st to 24th Battalions, the London Regiment between 1914 and 1919 under their reference 8227/-. This is a relatively new acquisition.

A search of the Nominal roll of officers who served with the 8th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment between August 1914 and November 1918, (SHC reference: 8227/2/5), found the following reference to Ernest Hesketh Harrison:

Name: Lieutenant Harrison, E H

Disemarked: 17/4/1918

Unit Entering With: 8th East Surrey [reference: NW/6/19658]

Date Joining [battalion]: 22/4/1918

Date Leaving: 18/9/1918

Reason: Killed in Action

Regards

Bootneck