Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Harold Kilburn Fox

peter fox

My Grandfather Harold Fox was born in Babworth, Nr Retford, Notts in 1897. He was gassed in France in November 1918, which he survived (although he died in 1923 from subsequent complications). From his medical discharge documents it states he was posted for duty on 6th Sept 1916 and (possibly) that he enlisted on 1-12-15. he was transferred to Queen Alexander Military hospital on 6 Jan 1919 for 28 days. His date of transfer to the reserves was 3-2-1919. In these discharge documents against Unit or Corps it possibly has the no 9 before Notts and Derby Regt but I'm not sure about this as its not clear. So it could be a 'red herring'.

He was awarded the Victory and British medals. Reg no 45841

Would like to establish if possible which Battallian of the Notts and Derby reg he served in and from this where he served, and if possible which campaigns.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Peter Fox.

Peter

His service records say he was with the 9th Battalion.

Ellie

According the the Medal roll for the BWM+VM, he was in the 9th Battalion. I have no trace of him on the Silver War Badge rolls, although I still have one more list to transcribe consisting on mainly late and post war discharges. (I'll try and keep this post in mind as I go through it)

As a 9th Battalion man, I would suggest you pm Steve Morse, the 9th being his area of expertise.

James O'Hara

As stated Harold Kilburn Fox was in the 9th Bn. He would have joined the Battalion when they returned from Egypt.

On 6th sept 1916 the battalion releived the 13th Cheshire's near Ovillers. It is possible that he was sent to the 9th Bn to make up for losses between the 6th and 12th Sept, although we had loaned men out to the South Staffs in August and some of them became casualties. The War Diaries did not mention any new men arriving.

The battalion also had an outbreak of Diptheria in August.

The Battalion attacked in the Thiepval - Mouquet Farm area on 26th Sept. They jumped off from Constance trench taking all of their objectives and holding out against sustained German counter attacks.

They took part in the Battle of Messines and 3rd Ypres (twice).

They had their final battle taking Sebourg Village in France and the Hills beyond on 4th Nov 1918.

If he was gassed in November it would have been before the 4th! They were shelled heavily on 1st, 2nd and 3rd and some of the shells could have been gas. On the 2nd two ORs were wounded. The battalion advanced so far that they outran the artillery and this cost them dearly on 4th. They took Sebourg but came under sustained machine-gun fire when moving into the hills beyond. nearly 50 men of the Bn stayed in Sebourg forever.

Steve

Dear Ellie, James and Steve.

Thank you all for your fast and most informative replies. Its most appreciated. Firstly for confirming harold was in the 9th Battalian. I will now be able to read up on the 9th Battalian campaigns and learn about where he was in action. Purely out of curiosity I am intrigued to learn how you were able to trace him to the 9th Battalian from his medal roll. Can you tell from the regimental number?. James thanks also for offering to bear this post in mind when your transcribing the last list on the Silver War badge rolls.

Steve. thanks also for taking the time to tell me something of the campaigns he would have been involved in. Of particular interests the action in early Nov 1918 when they took Sebourg which he where he would have been gassed. (His medical discharge doc quotes him as saying he was gassed in November). I wasn't sure if I would ever find out where he was gassed, so I'm really pleased to learn of this from you. If there are any books you would recomend to read more about the battalians and its campaigns I would be most interested to know.

Thank you all once again.

Best regards, Peter.

I will now be able to read up on the 9th Battalian campaigns and learn about where he was in action. .....If there are any books you would recomend to read more about the battalians and its campaigns I would be most interested to know.

Steve's well known for his shyness, so I'll offer a plug: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=104869

Steve's well known for his shyness, so I'll offer a plug: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=104869

Andrew.

Thank you very much indeed for giving me the link to Steve's book on the 9th Battalian. I am going to order a copy tonight.(As soon as my wife gets in to tell me her Paypall password!) Am really looking forward to reading it.

Thanks and Best Regards. Peter

:blush:

I will be visting Sebourg and the battle area on the 4th November to lay a wreath at the cemetery.

steve

Steve.

I'm grateful to Andrew for giving me the link to your book on the 9th Sherwood Foresters. I'm really looking forward to reading it, however I will be paying particular interest to information it contains on Sebourg.

I hope your visit to the battlefield in November goes well.

Best Regards.

Peter.

Your Grandfather is mentioned in the Nominal Roll, appendix II page 219.

If I can help with anything , let me know.

Steve

Thank you Steve. I will look this up when your book arrives. By the way, for your info, on your link to Tommies Guides on your web site you have missed the 'G' out, so the link does not work.

Thanks for your offer of help if needed. Thats appreciated. I will read the book first and see if this prompts any questions. In any case will get in touch when I've finnished,to let you know how I've got on with it. Just looking forward to it arriving now.

Best Regards.

Peter.

Thank you Steve. I will look this up when your book arrives. By the way, for your info, on your link to Tommies Guides on your web site you have missed the 'G' out, so the link does not work.

Peter

Whoops so I have.

Thanks for telling me.

Steve