Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment?

Jon6640

I'd go with that.

Looks like Lancashire Fusiliers and he is smoking a Peterson patent System pipe with a billiard shaped bowl.

Bravo Squirrel! I'd go with it being a Peterson too, I have the self same pattern in my jacket pocket as I type this. Is he sporting a patented Whitecross Pipe Cover too? ;)

Oh and that cap badge thing was correct as well :D

Pip pip,

Tim

Tim,

not sure about the pipe cover - I reckon it is a well used pipe with a carbonised rim on the bowl and a layer of ash - I could be wrong of course...........

Wonder if the chaps on here know the difference between an Army and a Navy fitting on smoking pipe?

Tim,

not sure about the pipe cover - I reckon it is a well used pipe with a carbonised rim on the bowl and a layer of ash - I could be wrong of course...........

Wonder if the chaps on here know the difference between an Army and a Navy fitting on smoking pipe?

Squirrel,

You may be right in re. the pipe cover, it was a long shot :)

I am very much afraid that you have me on the Navy fitting. Army I have come across, but not Navy. Would you care to elaborate?

Pip pip,

Tim

I think the Navy fitting has a bell bottom...makes room for more shag.

Army fitting is as per the Peterson System; the shank, usually fitted with a metal ferrule, of the pipe accepts a tapered mouthpiece.

Navy fitting is what has become the standard with a spigot on the mouthpiece fitting in to a hole drilled in to the shank of the pipe.

The Army fitting allows the pipe to be easily dismantled and placed in the pocket and reassembled quickly without the fear of breaking it. Also allows for a little wear.

The navy fitting requires more care in disassembling and assembling and the mouthpice is not supposed to be removed any more than is needed for cleaning now and again.

Army fitting is as per the Peterson System; the shank, usually fitted with a metal ferrule, of the pipe accepts a tapered mouthpiece.

Navy fitting is what has become the standard with a spigot on the mouthpiece fitting in to a hole drilled in to the shank of the pipe.

The Army fitting allows the pipe to be easily dismantled and placed in the pocket and reassembled quickly without the fear of breaking it. Also allows for a little wear.

The navy fitting requires more care in disassembling and assembling and the mouthpice is not supposed to be removed any more than is needed for cleaning now and again.

Thank you for that Squirrel.

I suspected it was something like that, but, had never heard the term Navy fitting before.

Funnily enough I snapped my first pipe, a beautiful Comoy billiard, for that very reason. Afterwards I vowed to get a Peterson with the two part system so I could never find myself sans pipe on a winter's day. I have two now, one as per the photo and one with a straight mouth piece. Marvelous contraptions. I have, of course, accessorised with a patented White Cross pipe cover. ;)

Yours in pipe smokery,

Tim

Tim,

not a pipesmoker myself - but I did work for Peterson's some years ago.

I never quite came to terms with the Peterson system myself, rather difficult to decoke I seem to recall. I always rather preferred the Talbot-Whitby extendable briar, particularly the model with the patented porcelain mouthpiece, the "Curate's companion" if my memory serves.

• 2 weeks later...