Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attachments ot other regiments

Terry

The medal index card for a 1914 Star & clasp trio I recently acquired has arrived, and perhaps the Pals might herlp out here.

The first line near the top of the MIC, where the corps/rank/regtl. No. are listed

state: 17 Lcrs / Pte. / 5991

The second line states: M. G. Gds / Pte. / 4838. In addition, written above this entry (between the two entries but physically in the second line) is written: att. 2 L.Gds, which may properly belong with the first line.

The entry date listed for France is 6 Oct.,1914. Now the 17th Lancers didn't arrive in Europe until early November from India, but the 2nd Life Guards arrival date is 7 Oct.,1914. Could this fellow have possibly been in the UK and been attached to the Life Guards when they went to France, instead of waiting for his regiment to return from India?

Finally, he received the clasp and roses, which the 17th as a unit did not earn, so this also encourages me to think he may have been with the Life Guards.

His medals are all named to the 17th Lancers.

Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Hello Terry

Seeing that you have no replies to your request for information I thought it prudent to add my findings to your request.

Over the last 50 years or so I have on occasions noted similar information re mens medals,oddly all have been to men of cavalry regiments which I suspect is just a coincidence.

For just over 5 years I have been writing a book to commemorate local men who died in the two world wars, 16 of whom are not on local memorials, the reason I make mention of it is that one of the 16 is Private E.H.Spenceley of the 7th Dragoon Guards who died on 27/5/15 at Ebblinghem, France, MIC shows his date of entitlement for 1914 Star as being 8/10/14, on that date the 7th DG were at sea en route from India to France, futher research revealed that he was one of the men from other cavalry regiments attached to the Household Cavalry Composite Regiment.

In view of the findings I made on E.H.Spenceley and others in the past, it would seem that your assumption regarding your 17th Lancer being in the UK at the onset of war is probably right, and being attached to the Life Guards prior to the arrival of his own regiment from India.

The downside I have learned to my cost (time & money) is that it is never safe to assume anything when involved with military history and the like.

Needless to say I hope that the above is of a bit of use.

David.

Many thanks for your comments, David. I am sure we are correct about these "odd men", and it is nice to say I have a completely correct 17th Lancers 14 star & clasp trio in my collection.

Oddly, despite the fact that I have had this group in my collection for several months now, and obtained it in trade from another collector, it is still listed on the online stock of the UK dealer from whom he obtained it. Time to update lists, methinks!

Because most of the Household cavalry regiments did not have enough drafts in the wings, troops in England that belonged to cavalry regiments stationed in India were shared out by lot to them. The Hussars went to the RHG, for example. That said I know of a handful that went to the 2nd Life Guards! So nothing is an exact science!

The medal index card for a 1914 Star & clasp trio I recently acquired has arrived, and perhaps the Pals might herlp out here.

The first line near the top of the MIC, where the corps/rank/regtl. No. are listed

state:    17 Lcrs / Pte. / 5991

The second line states: M. G. Gds / Pte. / 4838. In addition, written above this entry (between the two entries but physically in the second line) is written: att. 2 L.Gds, which may properly belong with the first line.

The entry date listed for France is 6 Oct.,1914. Now the 17th Lancers didn't arrive in Europe until early November from India, but the 2nd Life Guards arrival date is 7 Oct.,1914. Could this fellow have possibly been in the UK and been attached to the Life Guards when they went to France, instead of waiting for his regiment to return from India?

Finally, he received the clasp and roses, which the 17th as a unit did not earn, so this also encourages me to think he may have been with the Life Guards.

His medals are all named to the 17th Lancers.

Any thoughts?

I agree with your first postee,it is probable but it would be worth getting the Medal Roll pages number on the MiC to try to confirm it,as one shouldnt put too much creedence to assumption,Have you attempted getting his Record of Service/Discharge?

Medals are usually named to the recipients Original Unit ;Making it possible to obtain Medals to Units{Huntingdon Cyclists:Etc:}that did not serve Overseas!